The Aciduino - a little treasure so far unnoticed?

Overly complicated tools aren’t necessary to make art.

-Fumu / Esopus

5 Likes

I love the old school Acid. I started going down the Acid path with the Euro modules. It started getting way too pricey and complicated. I bought a Korg Volca Bass and it was pretty good but I never could get the old school sound. End Rant. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not for nothin but:

1 Like

I honestly don’t get it. To me it sounds like all the boring bits of music without the fun stuff. Nevertheless I notice that these people clearly are not old enough to have been around at raves during the eighties, so this music has found an audience and is inspiring new performers.

1 Like

I think you described house music in general (of which acid is a subgenre).

Don’t get me started on my guilty pleasure, Europop.

4 Likes

Bitnik,

Listen to Ceephax Acid Crew’s Boiler Room set. He has fun with acid and covers Beethoven Moonlight Sonata. You are describing most house music which is an incessant loop and largely is less potentially fun sitting hearing it from a computer but is massively pontentially fun participating at a rave. Fair enough there’s some times I find crowds no fun but I think the crowd is a missing element to just previewing house. The bounce of the sliding note sequencer, the oscillator, the envelope generator, the filter and usually some effects… this is all a single sound without fun but it’s an electronic drone which brings freaks in a unified participatory ecstasy. This wasn’t the predominate sound of the 80’s but came up around 1987 - 1988. It seems perhaps troubling when you’re not in it. And having been in it I say it was fun. Perhaps rebellious.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining the missing elements. I do feel that crowds and drugs and the settings probably helped to facilitate a kind of agapë, a feeling of limitless benevolence, without which certain musical experiences are difficult to understand.

2 Likes

And then there’s me who got into acid house just listening to the radio when I was 11 or 12. No drugs or crowds involved. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I doubt it will do much to convince you of it’s merits, but just to put one of my favorite original acid tracks into the mix:

You may find some of the works of Plastikman more agreeable:

But maybe not…

3 Likes

I was into ELP for a bit. Looking back many of their own compositions were so awful it’s embarrassing. Their adaptations are pretty good, as are those of Keith’s previous group The Nice.

What really amazes me is how well Abba always seem to fare in these retrospectives.

1 Like

You can get it for £122 at Bax UK.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/synthesizer/behringer-td-3-am-analog-bass-line-synthesizer

1 Like

Not a big deal but:

2 Likes

Yes, I often get the exchange rate wrong. I don’t know whether sales taxes are added separately at checkout in some states whereas our practice is to quote the entire price including tax (a fact that caused me some consternation when paying for stuff in shops in California) but even so, UK VAT is a ridiculous 20% and I doubt that US sales taxes are that high.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

Oh hell yes, Paroles! Now you’re getting advanced!

US sales taxes vary by state and sometimes city. They can’t include it in the listed price until they know where you live. And, no, I believe the 9% around here is among the highest in the country.

2 Likes

Well, they need to pay the tax collectors, and that’s a dangerous job, so the salary is quite good.
Wait… we are in the 21st century now, right, not in the middle age ?

2 Likes

My particular beef with VAT is that it’s a highly regressive form of tax. Poor people pay a far higher proportion of their small income as VAT than the rich.

10 Likes

sounds familiar , as in our wonderful tax codes here in the states …

2 Likes

https://www.proaudiostar.com/2020/black-friday/keyboard-and-synth/behringer-td-3-bk.html

120$

2 Likes