Sympathetic transistor drone synth

Hey guys new here, and feeling pretty much equal parts excited and intimidated by all this talent! Anyway, I love instruments with a lot of chorusing or sympathetic drones, so I thought a synth with that vibe would be fun. Here for an opinion on the main synth voice. I need to decide whether or not to use a 40106 or a 555 for the main voice. Both have plenty of character and both have limitations; so please let me know what direction you think I should go! Basically I want to have main voice which can then be either mixed OR modulated by a series of simple transistor oscillators. Each oscillator should be patchable two ways(to run as an lfo), with pots for tuning, and a switch to activate drone mode, which would be tuned to suit. Once all that’s sorted, I’d like to add some sort of filter. What are everyone’s thoughts? Am I rehashing something old? Does this sound kinda cool? Does it sound pointless? Stupid? Inane? Just let me know please! Much thanks.

4 Likes

Hi Mingusdude, welcome to the forum. I really like the 40106 so I am interested in this project. I have a metric sh^t ton of 40106’s here. They are mostly left over from my Lunetta phase. Have fun mate.

2 Likes