Super Simple Oscillator + Behringer Crave. Voltage question

Hello everyone.

Quick question here. I’ve put together a couple of super simple oscillators with 2N3904 running on double 9V batteries (18V). I want to use it with my Behringer crave, which operates, according to the manual, at -5/+5 volts. Is it safe to plug the SSO into Behringer’s inputs, or I can potentially ruin my synth?

Only starting out with electronics, so all the voltage stuff is still a little confusing to me.

Thanks for the answer.

If you check the oscilloscope output in this post:

you’ll see that the output signal swings between 7.4 V and 10.7 V for the 2N3904 I used there, so while the swing itself is within bounds, there’s a strong DC component – i.e. the output swings around (7.4 + 10.7)/2 = 9 V, not 0 V. You could add a capacitor in series with the output to filter that out, see e.g.

(I’d be a bit surprised if you damaged your Crave by feeding in the signal as is, though, but better be safe than sorry, I guess.)

2 Likes

Ok, thanks!

I will mess around with capacitors then. While waiting for the answer I already tried feeding the signal into Crave (couldn’t resist) and it seems fine. I mean it didn’t kill it straight away and it works.

I will still try to adapt the voltage and write back here if I’ll succeed. At the end of the day, I am planning to connect these two together a lot.

1 Like

If it works and doesn’t clip, odds are the input is AC coupled (i.e. there’s a capacitor on the way in) but the docs don’t mention anything and I don’t have a Crave here so cannot crack it open and look at the circuitry :slight_smile:

1 Like