Simple Envelope - Potentiometer ground

Hi there

New to this so be gentle with me…

I have made a couple of LMNCs modules and have all been cool

I am making the Simple Envelope and just had a question about the potentiometer ground.

I though that pin 1 on the pot (as looking from the front was ground) but it appears in the diagram for this that Pins 2-3 are connected to ground? Unless I am missing what he means when he says the Pots are viewed from the front? Also I might be missing entirely how pots work - so like I said be gentle with me!!

I did put this all together and the LED lit up but it did not seem to do any enveloping?

So just thought I would make sure I have not wired the post wrong first of all.

Thanks

pelagos

1 Like

Hello @pelagos , welcome in the forum, for the potentiometer pin number you can look here

these are not connections to the GND, for the 2 potentiometers

1 Like

with this schem there are also 2 or 3 resistors of 100K to be replaced by 10K for a better result.
like this

OK thanks Dud

So in the diagram the connections with the pink wires to 2-3 on each pot - look like they go the the 1uf capacitor which in turns is tracked to the ground?

Or am I reading the pot the wrong way and they are pins 1-2 that go to ground?

Once agin sorry for my lack of knowledge

And thanks for the nit with the 10k - I replaced one as LMNC advises but did not do the others - I will try that today.

thanks

pelagos

from front like this
Enveloppe generator ADSR

2 Likes

Cool

got it going now!

Thanks for the advice.

The attack is very limited through as mentioned buy LMNC and then Eddy B post. I only turn it up about 1-5% and the it stops

Ive only but the simple Env - not the push button version so have already replaced the 100k with a 10k

Eddy mentions removing the 4148 diode to help improve this? Is that OK to do? Just replace it with some wire to connect to strips?

thanks

1 Like

hey ! pelagos are you using A1m potentiometerss or B1m potentiometers?

A1M have a l;ogarithmic curve to them and it could possibly explain why your noticing them being all of a sudden loads of attack. have a look at the writing on the potentiometer if A1M definitely have a look at finding some B1M B potentiometers have a linear curve

1 Like

Hey LMNC

They are the B1M pots.

With the pot turned right down (counter clockwise) I get the envelope and then if I turn it up a couple of percent the signal just drops completely…

I was running the gate out from my SQ-1. I tried it out the CV out that you can change the voltage from 1v up to 5v out. At 5V the attack certainly responds better - but still only up till about 50% then it stops again. Maybe the gate out from tech SQ-1 is not strong enough?

Thanks for any advise and appreciate the time taken to advise!

pelagos

try bypassing the diode? if not sure just twist it so both metal bits touch so you can see what happens haha the diode does cause a voltage drop I have found some none modular things dont give enough voltage to trigger this so yeah give that a go

1 Like

Thanks again

removed the diode and it made it marginally better

Also triggered from a Beatstep Pro and it was a marginally better again - so will just run with it how it is!!!

Would decreasing the value of the 1M pot do anything good (or bad?) to say a b500K?

thanks

pelagos

On the stripboard layout by Eddy Bergman in the bottom left, the output has an LED.

I’m assuming this is an indicator LED.

But is says inside push button.

The push button is at the top of the layout.

Is this a mistake.

No, that is correct, the LED is built in the button, but shown separately on the schematic for clarity of the circuit.

1 Like

Ahh, I get it thanks.