Ring Mod & Wave Folder with AD633 (Hagiwo)

DIY eurorack modular synth Ring modulator & wavefolder with AD633 analog multiplier

Ring modulator and wavefolder and linear VCA , 3 in 1 module.
It can add many overtones by intensely modulating a simple waveform.

4 Likes

No Arduino? ±12 V?

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HAGIWO

7 Likes

Interchanged with Juanito Moore ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Google translate on his site* states that the AD633 is very expansive? At 2 for a £1 is that pricey?
Super use of the chip and a folder is a folder wether mathematically precice or not. This is on my guitar project list now.
(* 日本語は話せません)

1 Like

$16.28 at Mouser

Hagiwo says 1000 yen which is $9.11 = £6.62

1 Like

I have encountered fakes of these, that price is surely suspicious. Expect to pay >10 $/€/£/schmeckles

1 Like

Fake is probably a good call but I saw so many suppliers on AliB and BG that I can’t believe they’re all dodgy. Naive? Yeh well

I can’t believe they’re all dodgy

There are probably more teardowns of fake AD633s on the Internet than there are sellers…

Here’s Ken Shirriff on one way to fake them:

2 Likes

Thanks @fredrik. Can anyone recommend a good/DIY chip tester? I built a quick circuit to identify 4000 series chips (74 40 etc) a while ago but it was too unstable. (I’m too old to read the labels)

Oh hey, here’s AD633 (SOP-8) on AliExpress that isn’t fake. You can tell because it says “Not Fake !” right in the title. And they’re only charging… $29.90? Each?

3 Likes

I just bought some SOP-8 AD633 from a Chinese seller at around $3 each. I had no idea there was anything unusual about them. These are destined to go in a Miasma function generator thats currently about 75% built, if it works I’ll post the info, although I dunno how useful it’ll be to people outside of the mainland.

1 Like

Analog Devices charges $6.00 to $8.84 for SOIC AD633 in quantities of 1000+. So if a vendor is selling something for $3 you can be pretty certain it is either not new, not genuine, or not legally obtained.

1 Like

Hi, for testing and identifying logic ICs I am using the tl866ii plus. Its an parralel eprom/eeprom programmer with the capability to test logic chips.

2 Likes

as long as it’s not not working, I will be happy. It’s pretty difficult to get away with selling duds (no pun intended) on China’s taobao, so it’ll be interesting either way. I’ll get the rest of this module soldered and see how much smoke they make.