Ribbon cable tester

I just ordered my first custom PC board using your cable-tester.zip! Thanks for your work on the design and the free Gerber files.
I went with JLCPCB for the PC board creation. Minimum order was 5 boards, but with the defaults, it was still under $10, even with shipping. I hope I didn’t pick any incorrect options!
Now to get the boards, and the parts, build and test it. Cool project! Thanks again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All the default options are usualy right

Except the color which should be purple

2 Likes

Indeed , purple is the new red.

1 Like

I got her working! :slight_smile: After I figured out the code!
I tested a 10-conductor Eurorack 10-16 style cable.
Then I made this 16 conductor cable and tested it.

Fun project! Thanks for all the work you put it to it.

4 Likes

hi

can you share your code my build is ok but the result of the tester is wrong.
and i didn’t know how to code…

Br

See repo at Richard Holmes / cabletester · GitLab

Hello sir! Can you help me with making IDC2x10 tester. I need testing cables for VFDs, but cant find some helpful manual, only on LEDs. I know that I need other miltiplexer and change logic and screen, but I cant do that with my brain.

If I were going to do a cable tester over again I might not do it this way. Having a display that says “Cable OK” or “shorted” or “bad cable” with information on which conductor has the problem is kind of cool but really what does anything other than “OK” vs. “Not OK” do for you? If it’s not OK there’s not much you can do about it other than cut off the cable end and put a new connector on and test it again.

In that case just a simple circuit that puts current through LEDs and that fails to light some of the LEDs if there is a short or a break tells you “OK” or “not OK” in a much simpler way.

See:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. In fact, you are correct; as a result of testing, we will only see “ok” or “not ok”. I found 2 schemes in russian-language website that can check which conductor has a short circuit or break. One of them is based on logic elements, the second is based on an atmega 8 microcontroller. I can share them here if interested