Questions about components

Hi the crew,
this afternoon i built the mini ADSR on stripboard and i have no L7805, so i put a LM78L05 : is there a problem with that ? and what the differences please

and the second question : usualy i use metal film resistances but today i have only some carbon one for 10k and 100k : is there a problem with that too ? and what the differences please

1 Like

L7805 (and LM7805 and other regulators in a TO-220 package, the larger one with a metal tab) can in theory handle about 10× more ampere than the 78L05 (TO-92), even if they need a heatsink for full load. Not sure what the power requirements are for this circuit, but the small ones have protection so the worst thing that can happen is that it turns off, or drops the voltage below what’s usable.

As for carbon (±5% tolerance) vs metal (±1%), it usually doesn’t matter that much, unless the build instructions say it has to be 1%, or tell you to manually match values.

3 Likes

for the 78L05 I thought that there was no problem because it is what there is in the components of FC diy power supply to regulate the 5v, but in the doubt I preferred to ask the other people’s opinions.
in any case thank you very much !

2 Likes

it will work without problem

1 Like

yes i think too, thanks !

1 Like