Octave switch for simple CEM3340 Oscillator?

They’re all variants of the TL072 and the ones in PDIP packaging probably are all okay. Actually I have to admit I’ve never thought to concern myself with which version I’m using, aside from packaging (DIP vs SOIC). If I want DIP TL072s I get them from Tayda and looking closely at the listing I see they’re TL072CP. I suppose someday I might find myself with a circuit where it matters what VIOmax is but it hasn’t happened yet. I’m pretty sure I’ll never need to worry about whether my module will operate down to -55°C or not.

2 Likes

(tip: TIs site is well organized, and tends to have more information than some random datasheet copy elsewhere :smiley: And you can usually guess the URL: https://www.ti.com/product/TL072 (click or scroll down to “Ordering & quality” to see the variants currently in production from TI, but note that there are other manufacturers too that may use other codes). And as you say, unless otherwise noted in the schematics/BOM, anything in the right package works.)

3 Likes

I want to add the Octave switch to a new VCO,
if i have only 3 positions with my rotary switch,
my Ref value must be 2V instead 4V

1V per octave,
position 1 : direct to GND = normal tune,
position 2 : 10K = + 1 oct
position 3 : 10K + 10K = +2 oct

so 3 positions for 2V ref

please tell me if it’s a good deduction or not

You could put 20k below position 1 and use 4V.

(edit) or probably better, put 20k above the third position, then you get 0, 1, and 2V.

Yes, that will work. Don’t forget to closely match your resistors.

You could also use 4V and make each position change by two octaves if you want to cover a larger range.

2 Likes

thank you !
and there is no contraindication to lower the Ref to 2V with the LM4040 and the trimmer pot ?

You can use the same circuit as in the #1222 VCO, the trimmer will just be closer to the middle of its course.

EDIT: crossed out the 4V and added the 2V

3 Likes

yes thx but there is no more position without octave (to GND)

20k above third position instead:

but sure, trimming 2.1V off the 4.1V reference works too.

3 Likes

Yes ! 2 solutions now, thanks guys !

1 Like

Probably just a typo, but for clarity, you need to get 2.0V, not 2.1V.

1 Like

Yes, so trimming 2.1V off 4.1V gets you to 2.0V.

1 Like

Ah! Not what I understood.

Thinking about a standalone octave switcher, one with a ±5V range. Any reason not to use something like the Performance Oscillator’s switch, but with a LM4040AIZ-10.0 and no trimmer to provide a +10V reference? And then subtract half the reference voltage using a differential amplifier.

Edit: No, wait. An LM4040AIZ-5.0, to provide steps of half a volt from 0 to 5V. Then a differential amplifier with a gain of 2.

3 Likes

Is there a 4040 variant the can manage 1v steps?
Im seeing far too much arithmetic gentleman (Math in the USA im lead to believe)

LM4040 is a voltage reference, in and of itself it doesn’t provide steps. What you need for 1V steps is a voltage reference for some integer number of volts and then resistors to divide that down into 1V steps. The LM4040 comes in 2.048 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, 4.096 V, 5 V, 8.192 V, and 10 V variants, so the 3V, 5V, and 10V versions would seem to best to use. However, any can be used with a trimmer to adjust the voltage down to, for example, 4.0 or 8.0 V. And in fact, to compensate for imprecision elsewhere — for instance, a mismatch between the CV and octave switch input resistors at the CV mixing stage — you might want to deliberately make the steps slightly smaller or larger than 1.0 V (but still equal), in which case starting with a larger voltage and trimming it down is your best course.

3 Likes

Many thanks @analogoutput. This made things a lot clearer.

2 Likes

Was looking to make a new CEM3340 oscillator with the octave switch. This thread answered all my question. That’s amazing, thanks.

2 Likes