Module tester recommendations

The original and version 2 were both designed by Mutable Instruments. Main differences are the power supply — v2 takes a 15 VDC wall wart instead of a harder to find 12 VAC, and the jacks; v2 has Thonkiconn footprints. The new version I think is preferable.

The photos at amazingsynth show v1 but what they’re selling is v2. Modular Addict shows v1 photos and doesn’t say anything about v2 so I’m guessing they really are v1.

Other sources are:

Or you can grab the Gerbers from the Mutable Instruments Github and get them fabbed: https://github.com/pichenettes/module_tester/

If you have an Arduino you can use it to flash the microcontroller chip yourself (the firmware’s on the Github too). It’s not very hard.

Note Amazingsynth mentions an alternate power supply converter (for v2) which is a good deal cheaper than the one MI specified, though it does have not as low ripple.

The approach I took was to download the design files from GitHub, modify them to better fit my intended enclosure (a cigar box) and to substitute footprints for the MIDI and 1/4" jacks I already had, get them fabbed, and flash my own MCU. It worked out well and I’m very glad I built it. It’s been extremely useful.

More here: Eurorack Synth Noodle Toaster v2

1 Like