Midi usb type b to midi din

hey everyone,
i was thinking about that little problem:
i own a arturia minilab, because i’m most of the time on a computer (naughty me)
i want to use it with some midi things, i want to convert my usb midi out to a midi din,

is this possible ? is that complicated or just like soldering a midi din to a usb ?

2 Likes

There’s stuff like this:

4 Likes

Or go the DIY route:

5 Likes

A quick search of ‘usb midi’ will produce the usb midi adapter. Usb one end and din at the other. They’re about £5. Not worth more and they do the job well.

4 Likes

I got myself a MODE Machine Cerebel V? hoping that would help me connect an Akai USB-MIDI master kbd to my DIN-MIDI synths, but I am sure I have missed something very crucial.

Mode Machines

1 Like

Most MIDI keyboards that I have seen are USB devices - i.e. they need to be plugged into a host. What kind of USB port does your kbd have? USB-A usually means it’s a host. USB-B/mini/micro is an indication that the device needs to be plugged into a host and its the host that will do all the enumeration and routing. The Mode Machines thing has a micro usb which leads me to believe it’s a device, not a host…

2 Likes

Mine has a USB-very-small (mini/micro) port … Wonder if I can slaughter the keyboard and use it as a REAL analog kbd??

I forgot to mention this:

Use a Pi Zero with a cheap(diy if you want) USB hub and you should be good to go. I use it to connect my Mutable CVpal to a MIDI-only controller via the Pi and a USB-MIDI cable like the one you’ve got there. Works like a charm.

1 Like

Thanx! Will look into this. Also got Mutables CV Pal (and the (idiotic) MIDI/NON-MIDI Akai LKP-25 kbd).

2 Likes