LMNC Simple Distortion

if I look at my build it’s a volume
i had added a led and a DPDT switch for the bypass

Nice that you got it working :slight_smile:

The pot is indeed a volume pot because it is after the gain stage. The amount of distortion of a fuzz/distortion circuit like this can probably be adjusted externally, by varying the amplitude of the signal you put in.
Be aware that this particular circuit is very ‘hot’ and with synth levels will probably always distort very hard.

If you have an electric guitar, experiment with how the circuit interracts with your volume and tone knobs. Also, it might sound wildly different if you put another pedal in front of it.

2 Likes

Made one myself today and doesn’t seem to work super nice with guitar. There’s quite a high volume threshold before any signal comes through. This is probably due to biasing of the base.
With a boost in front it works fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah i was wondering if there was a way to use an attenuator with it to control the amount of fuzz applied to the clean signal. Or, if replacing Duds switch with a Pot would give me some more control over the amount of fuzz.

Ill have a play with the 2nd one I’ve made n see when i get the inspiration.

1 Like

I think it would be possible to add a pot to the input. Pin 3 to input jack hot and pin 1 to ground. The input capacitor will go to pin 2 of the pot. I think 100k to 1m should work, but i have not tried this. This way you can attenuate the signal before it goes into the gain stage making it clip less. This is not a real gain control though. I’m not sure if this will work.

If you look at the (npn) fuzz face, there is a pot as emitter resistor with a capacitor to pin 2. This will create a variable emitter bypass, which will change the gain of the circuit, but also the low end response.

There is no emitter resistor in the lmnc fuzz. Adding one will actually decrease the gain a little bit but since the collector resistor is massive, you probably won’t notice. The bypass capacitor will add more gain to the circuit.
This might be worth trying but i’m not sure if it will go all the way to clean.

If you want to keep your clean sound but add a fuzzy sound to it, you might want to look at a blender of sorts, but this fuzz is inverting so you have to invert it back in phase.

3 Likes