Korg Mini Pops DIY DRUM MACHINE (& DSP-D8)

This looks great. Can you share your schematic and code? I’ve been trying to recompile my list of these projects since the Jan ostman WordPress site was taken down. It’s amazing how many sites still post projects that link to this dead site as the source. Any and all info gratefully received.

5 Likes

I gotta build one of these

4 Likes

a version with Trigger In for each sound and pitch pot for each too :slight_smile: like in the video i post ? maybe you have find the solution to my question to add Trigger. Can you share your schem and code plz ?

1 Like

I don’t really understand how it works :confused:
does the “pattern” potentiometer select a predefined sequence?

1 Like

Yes, exactly.
In order :

• Hard Rock
  • Disco
  • Reggae
  • Rock
  • Samba
  • Rumba
  • Chacha
  • Swing
  • Nova
  • Biguine
  • Synth Pop
  • Boogie
  • Waltz
  • Jazz Rock
  • Slow Rock
  • Oxygen (!)
2 Likes

ok thank you and does it generate sounds or does it trigger impulses to make other modules work?

It will generate sounds.

The “mute” switches will enable you to “remove” one (or more) of the drums/samples from the pattern.
Tempo and Run/Stop are self-explanatory…

2 Likes

yes :slight_smile:
so the sound bank comes from the arduino or an external chip?

From the arduino.
That’s the only chip in this design anyway :slight_smile:
(As long as you don’t add protections on the pins for modular use)

2 Likes

yes I thought it would require an external module because when I saw the video of sam on the BIG BUTTON project he had made an extra module with a sound bank that’s why I’m wondering.

1 Like

I found some more of my mirror of Jan Ostman’s blog and hacksters posts…

2 Likes

The XR10 is a 6 channel polyphonic drum sample player, with :

• individual trigger
  • individual pitch
  • individual out
3 Likes

The Korg minipops 02 with Midi out schematic & code in this thread

2 Likes

Many thanks for this @eric and you too @Dud.

1 Like

@Dud @Farabide

Here is the schem i ended up putting together. Could add some diode protection on the trigger ins if you wanted, but it all works without an issue!

The source code is in @eric googledrive above!

3 Likes

thanks @Aswayze and @eric :slight_smile:
(more carract…)

EDIT : maybe a stupid question but the 10uf cap on output, isn’t it in the wrong side (+/-) ?

2 Likes

It could be, I hadn’t noticed it!

Having said that I have built it this way for the minipops and this one, and it worked fine. So might be worth trying on a breadboard and see what happens.

2 Likes

It certainly would better be the other way around.

4 Likes

Many thanks. Protection on the inputs might be a good idea. Nanos are fairly forgiving with power but the digital pins can behave oddly when many are over powered together. I’ll breadboard this up soon and have a play.
The guys are right about the cap. It won’t do it’s job that way round.
I do love these simple nano based modules. Thanks again for posting.

1 Like

I would like to add the diodes, buffer? … to the schematic to make a final module, but I don’t really have the theory and am not sure of myself with it.
Maybe can we finalize it together ?

for example if we add a buffer on output i don’t know if it’s better to put it before or after the 10uf cap …

3 Likes