Jack sockets (as3340/cem3340 vco)

Just gone back to doing my first module, got my jack sockets out and I can’t find anything that says where the gnd and whatever is (i dont have access to multimeters and whatever). This post os pretty similar to someone elses post posted 2 days ago (HELP! Beginner Question CEM3340 VCO) .

Aswell is the tip the one closest to where you put in the cable. Also where it says connect to ground of jack socets on the stripboard layout, is that on all of the jacks - if so how would you do that. I know this forum has alot of questions but thanks.

1 Like

You didn’t say where that jack came from or what its maker/model number is; it looks a lot like this one from Tayda
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/3-5mm-plugs-jacks/3-5mm-mono-enclosed-socket.html
which in turn resembles the Thonkiconn
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/thonkiconn/
whose datasheet is here

The Thonkiconn has a terminal that bends down through the PCB while the Tayda one has a shorter terminal that just sticks out but aside from that they’re electrically the same. That terminal, as you see on the datasheet, is ground. The bottom terminal nearest it is tip switch while the bottom terminal further from it is tip.

Look for datasheets whenever you have a question, they might not have the answer you’re looking for but they might.

Also: Get a multimeter. You need one. You don’t say where you’re located but if you have a Harbor Freight store you can pick up a multimeter for about $7 as I recall. In fact sometimes they give them away with a purchase. It’s a cheap multimeter that doesn’t do a lot and it’ll break or the leads will fall apart in a few years but at the price you can afford to replace it. Or spend $35 or so on a nicer one. I use this one:

3 Likes

you can also put a jack in it and with a pilot light test

sleeve = ground
and tip = signal

jack

there is also a thread about that

3 Likes

What the man says! Recommendation thread:

A quick tutorial by @caustic:

6 Likes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Mono-Chassis-Mount-switching-Jack-Female-Socket-UK-Seller/184166932903?hash=item2ae13461a7:m:mXLnHF0EduoQoNctlrnU4iQ , yeah it does ill have a look now, i just got them off ebay, i know about thonk but i didnt think of going on there.

1 Like

i found i fiver so i might get one

1 Like

I am a beginer so i barely know what schematics look like so it might be hard for data sheets

1 Like

Very high odds it’s the same or nearly so as the Tayda jack which as I said is pretty much like the Thonkiconn except for the shape of the ground terminal. But not enough information in the eBay listing to be 100% certain of that.

But at least you can come here and say “Here’s the data sheet, help me understand it”.

3 Likes

yeah sorry can you help me when you’re free.

1 Like

I’ve used several of this type in my modules. The lead pointing towards the top of this picture is the chassis (or GND).

Of the other 2 pointing towards the camera the bottom one is connected to the tip of a jack plug if you plug it in. The other one is connected to the bottom one if there is no jack inserted ( there is a switching mechanism in this model ). If there is a jack inserted that one is disconnected from the bottom one and not connected to anything anymore.

In a portable device with a loudspeaker you often see that this switch mechanism is used to disconnect the loudspeaker as soon as a headphone is connected.used to

4 Likes

[quote=“fiveam_pittam, post:1, topic:1048”]
Also where it says connect to ground of jack socets on the stripboard layout, is that on all of the jacks - if so how would you do that. I know this forum has alot of questions but thanks.
[/quote] do you know about this question btw?

I’m not familiar with this particular question, but if a socket has a connection to ground, and you have a series of such sockets that all need to be connected to ground, then that is what you should do. Or is this not what you are asking?

like here the black wire

1 Like