Groovesizer TB2 DIY - it's alive!

Finally got my DIY TB2 working with MIDI in. Yes, it’s all digital, and yes, it’s a right old mess (like my workspace) but it’s pleasing me, so shush. :wink:

The sound is good but the menus leave a lot to be desired - something that the original creator mentioned once - so as I get any chances I’ll start improving the interface a bit. I also want to open up the possibility of using external sources as control voltages for parameters that currently can be used with the built-in LFO. The Arduino Due is 3.3V only so I’m thinking clamping voltages within that range would make sense, I think a suitable Zener diode and resistor would be enough (I’m unlikely to try and put anything more than 5V near it at the moment - if I build things with more oomph then I can revisit that statement).

I’ve started learning Fusion 360 so that I can make a better enclosure - the circuitboard is held by clamps clipped onto the edge of a sled thing I made for the Arduino:

Hope soon I can have photos of some analogue goodness but I’m first and foremost a software developer so I’m playing with what I know :grin:

5 Likes

Nice one! Can we hear it play / make some noise?

3 Likes

It’s always great to see a Rock Band 3 keyboard getting a second lease of life.

4 Likes

Once I’ve got some space so that I’m not balancing things on my lap… and can disguise my complete lack of talent with something like my Kaosspad :grin:

3 Likes

First lease of life for this one, I found it in Home Bargains for a tenner and bought it on sight!

5 Likes

I got mine in a similar way. I had two, but when we moved out of London I only kept one. I’ve posted about some software my son developed for it so you can use it without the MIDI cable, if you’ve kept the wireless dongle that comes with it.

4 Likes

Wow. That’s superb! I saw the dongle somewhere around my office/workspace/attic recently, I’ll keep my eyes peeled because that sounds like it would be so much more natural than my Korg nanokey is.

2 Likes

I found the dongle (while looking for something unrelated) so have just given it a whirl. Very clever, kudos to your lad! I had latency issues on this laptop annoyingly but I’ll try it on another machine when I get a chance, one that’s not trying to run all my ‘work’ work at the same time as messing about with a keytar :grin:

3 Likes