From modular scope to scope for my modular

I found this instrumentation equipment in the trash:

On the left there was an (optional) small oscilloscope, that you can remove:

It was pretty easy to understand how to plug it in, things like this are usually well made! It needs line 230VAC, and also +/-25VDC, and of course the X and Y signals.
So I made a boost converter to create the needed voltage from the +12V rail, and a simple backplane board to connect everything:

The boost converter is based on the AP3012 chip, a really inexpensive and low part count solution! I used the schematic from another chip to make the dual supply:

The result:

Now I need to find a way to put it in my case… It’s just a little smaller than 20cm…

8 Likes

Great find!

And what are your plans with the H-bomb this was connected to originally? Or had there been someone at that trash bin before you and already taken that?

1 Like

I don’t know for sure what this thing does… Or if it works at all! I tried to feed him some signals, but no answer…
That said, from what I saw, it might be useful for my job, as I have to measure low signals and this seems to do that? No idea really!

Google brought up a “French Technical Bulletin” from 1967, which says:

2 Likes

Yep, I saw this too. But the issue is that I don’t really know how to use it!

It reads as if you can measure the amplitude and phase of a specific frequency in a signal. You can use this to detect, for example, a carrier signal in telecommunication applications. How that exactly works in this particular device, I don’t know. This article may be interesting.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t though of it this way! Thanks, I will try to dig a bit.