Etching PCB's at home

I’ve seen some talk about the PWM fixes…but not sure who may have tried them already.

The Yusynth steiner filter is a pretty easy starting point with his designs. Low cost easy to source parts (a rotary switch is the trickiest thing to find) you do have to match two transistors though…which is another excuse to do a really simple DIY PCB:

It’s easy enough to do on a breadboard…but if you’re looking for a simple PCB to test etching with that’s one that’s super simple and useful for building multiple modules later.

3 Likes

Hey Juggle. I’m new but have been searching on a good primer for etching for a while. This is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to document this.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Hairdigital, glad to hear it’s helpful. Look forward to seeing some boards and projects from you :smiley:

2 Likes

Just stumbled across this :

3 Likes

Apologies redoing the vids in entirely free software

Cheers

I’m not a big fan of dealing with bitmaps for PCB’s but when that’s the only format the layout is available in those are some helpful techniques.

Oh - and for the record…I’m still alive and well. Just haven’t had much time to work on my synth projects the past year or so. I have wood waiting to build a new case and had hoped to tackle that with my dad when he visited in Jan - but we got sucked into painting my daughters room instead and ran out of time. Our dog has also turned out to be a massive time stealer - he’s absolutely amazing…but I’ve never had an animal who demanded so much time and attention! Most of my hobby time has now turned into dog time - he’s crazy smart and it’s an absolute joy teaching him tricks…but if he doesn’t get some mental and physical stimulation every day he’s incredibly creative at finding ways of letting me know that’s unacceptable :wink:

So…I haven’t had to etch a board in almost a year since I have a pile of unbuilt boards and components still waiting for me to find time for them again.

I did have a bit of fun a few months ago with a backyard synth party for some friends. Set the modular up out on my patio and gave a few people basic instructions then let them go crazy to see what they could come up with. Can’t say much musical happened that evening but everyone had a blast and a few are definitely looking to spend more quality time with the setup.

5 Likes

Hello Mr Juggle and all who read this thread.

I notice lots of bare etched board in the posts above when a simple alteration will ensure that only some very narrow lines remain on the ‘print’ allowing ones etching fluid to work faster and last far longer.

PCB layouts.
How to Measure, Resize, Alter, Print for pre-sensitised boards and UV film and on top of that how to use the least amount of etching fluid.

Copy and paste - Photoshop CS2 - into Google the number one return in Chrome and Firefox will be Techspot.

Copy the serial number and put the dashes in as well when asked. There are popups when it’s opened click on the X’s to remove them.

Screencast done in FreeCam8 https://www.freescreenrecording.com/
Video compressed in Handbrake also free https://handbrake.fr/ open source

Cheers
[edit] The program will change most others formats to compressed JPG or uncompressed TIF’s
[edit2] Stop the popups
Go to the .exe file, right click, open as admin, close the popups as they appear.
Restart popups gone.

3 Likes

Hey guys

As an experiment i cut a stencil out of some thin zinc sheet. Used some cheap spray paint as etch resist.
It gave me better results than any waterproof marker i tried :slight_smile:

Etching fluid is hydrochloric acid with hydrogen peroxide on a hot plate for coffee

4 Likes