Aisler Announce new Budget manufacturing

I’ve used Aisler for all my PCBs so far, mostly because I like the way you can add in your parts and get everything you need to build all in the one package, you can upload kicad pcbs directly - plus it’s European so I avoid any customs surprises.

They just spammed me announcing a new budget service, half price for a longer wait time:

https://aisler.net/blog/introducing-budget-manufacturing-the-most-economic-choice-on-the-planet

Cheers,
Jared

2 Likes

This is cool, thanks for sharing! Do you have any pics of boards/panels they’ve made for you? How do they compare to the JLPCB Kosmos?

They come in any colour you like, as long as it’s green :wink:
If you’re careful with your footprints you can get the cheaper HASL ones.
Some features, like elongated cuts bump you up to ENIG, or you can select it yourself.
There are some kicad templates for the PCB settings in a git hub somewhere including both 2 and 4 layer variants, I’ve only ever used 2.

I can’t compare to JLCPCB boards, I’ve never had one made, or picked up a Kosmo one :open_mouth:
I’m pretty happy with the boards themselves - haven’t had any issues with them so far. One gripe is maybe the registration tabs aren’t cleaned off as nicely as they could be - but that’s minor.

Here are a few examples:

Cheers

2 Likes

At first when I read their announcement I thought their example was 12 boards 10 by 15 cm for €9 — but no, that’s 10 by 15 mm. Oddly, pcbshopper.com quotes €7.74 for the same size and quantity.

I don’t know why they call this “the most economical option on the planet”

To compare, I recently had JLC run me 5 100x183mm boards. That cost $11.30USD for 5 boards and $20.80 for shipping, and then I got a $5 discount for a total of $27.10.

It looks like using Aisler Budget would run me $44.43USD for the boards and shipping, so even with “Free Shipping” that still cost 63% more than JLC, and the only option for soldermask is green.

I don’t think anyone is going to beat JLC on price because they’re willing to break even or possibly even loose a bit per board.

2 Likes

Yeah, only green is bummer… and these tabs, ugly… maybe in an emergency…
And if someone can explain the calculation here to me…
“”“Let’s assume we have board 10mm by 15mm and you want to have 12 copies. That’s 6.00 Euro + 12 x (2.00cm x 3.0cm x 0.042 Euro/cm^2) = 9.02 Euro”""
A 10x15mm board is paid as 20x30mm ?!?

I think they round up to the nearest cm,
which means my boards would actually be slightly more expensive.

EDIT how exactly 10mm rounds up to 2cm i’m not sure.

Full pricing info here:

https://aisler.net/help/getting-started/pricing

I think there is a minimum board size of L*W of 60mm^2.

Depends on the board size — I can’t get pcbshopper.com to agree with the announcement, whether I put in 10 mm x 15 mm or 20 mm x 30 mm, but in any case, for tiny boards like that the free shipping makes them come close to or overtake JLCPCB. But the cost per cm^2 is much higher, and once you get to module-size boards, the cheapest JLCPCB option is a lot less than Aisler’s. Of course there may be differences in materials or processes that justify a higher price. Then again, you don’t get a choice of color. And then again again, for those in Europe, there may be import cost factors.

Edit: In fact Aisler now seems to be second only to JLCPCB for boards in the 50–500 cm^2 range, although not a particularly close second:

chart

3 Likes