Electrosmith 3340 submodule

cool thank you had not seen this before , answers the questions I had , looks like 10k pots and shows what is what as far as the pinouts of the " sub " module .

1 Like

If Britain had had the Vulcan bomber in World War 2 I think it would have been a much shorter war. This was part of the UK’s strategic nuclear defence force during the cold war, and fortunately was only ever used once, to drop conventional bombs on an airfield during the Falklands War.

1 Like

dam I learn something new today , but it sounded like it should be a ww2 plane . reminds me of a movie where the modern day aircraft carrier time travels back to ww2 , should we end this today or leave the time line the way it should be …

1 Like

I’m tempted to reverse engineer it from photographs, but perhaps it would be more sensible to buy one to play with.

3 Likes

I remember that film. Kirk Douglas (Michael’s father) plays the captain of the carrier USS Nimitz. Few people remember Kirk now but he was a big star in his day. People would joke that his chin dimple did most of the acting but I liked him.

1 Like

yep thats the movie , it is worth a watch . now that the thread has been jacked :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I did warn in one of my first posts here, back in January, that I can be a bit of a chatterbox.

3 Likes

I bought one of these awhile ago thinking it would be an easy build quickly realized I had no clue what pots , etc. to use the info was not out there because these things are fairly new at the time . haven’t even thought about them [ Electrosmith 3340 submodule] in awhile . with this new info looks like I can move them closer to the top of the projects pile .

1 Like

Yeah, stick it on a breadboard, connect up the bits and add a Eurorack power feed.

Incidentally I’m always a bit unhappy to see boards with integrated switchgear. Wires exist, and with analogue audio there’s no downside to sticking your pots and jacks on the end of a few centimetres of cabling. Let the end user decide what to connect the board to.

1 Like

Yikes, they’re quoting $20 shipping to my UK address. That takes the price of entry beyond my “worth a try” threshold. Oh well, maybe reverse engineering isn’t such a bad idea.

1 Like

dam thats almost as much as the board costs .

1 Like

Hmm, seems to be no way to get shipping charges without going through enough of the checkout process to require at least giving them an email address.

Hate it when they do that. Just tell me shipping to my state, okay?

OK, they now have my spam fodder email address, my name (“Donald Trump”), and my address (when I was 12) and it’s $10.08. Thanks, that’s all I wanted to know, guys.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought about the fact that they ask for your address. I don’t mind giving it. My email address, too, is deliberately public and Google has excellent filters. But I understand why many don’t like to give that information out. I used to use a masking service before I moved to Gmail.

Edit: I removed the URL of a masking service because that one seems to be in the process of closing down.

I don’t really worry much about Electrosmith having the information — god knows many other sites do, one more’s not likely to hurt. More the principle of the thing. Withholding information (shipping charges) until you tell them, that’s slimy. Commonly done, but slimy. Note that they don’t tell you their email or snail mail address, do they? They admit to being in southern California, no more than that.

4 Likes

I just used their contact page to ask if they’re planning to get agents for international distribution. With a product like Daisy I’m quite surprised that they don’t already have international representatives.

1 Like

Daisy looks interesting indeed! But I think the price is extremely excessive. Half would have done it too.
The VCO looks and sounds pretty darn good too. It’s the little easy way to build a module. Nevertheless, personally I would prefer this kit. I would order the 3340 for 8 €, the rest of the components are available at home. And so I get roughly the same price for a complete module.

3 Likes

At first glance it seems with Daisy Seed you’re getting a system board with high end audio and 64MB of SDRAM for $30. That makes the Raspberry Pi equivalent look rather lame and expensive.

2 Likes

Oooooohh yes !!! I didn’t looked at that, I just paid attention to the Daisy PETAL and Daisy PATCH, which are very expensive.
Daisy SEED is a very cool little device indeed. It looks quite different now!

2 Likes

Not only are the Daisy-powered devices too expensive, but mounting the Daisy on the panel is silly, and the Petal’s control labels are… less than useful.

4 Likes

That’s ridiculously expensive for that puny switchgear. The Seed is decently priced but the Petal is for people who want something to show off to their friends.

1 Like