Electrosmith 3340 submodule

Has anybody tried this? It’s from the same people who make the Daisy.

It looks a bit like an Arduino Nano and it’s breadboard-friendly, but it’s all you need for a 3340-based VCO. Just add a panel and some pots and jacks and buttons and switches. From photos I’ve seen, it appears to be built around a surface mount AS3340. It incorporates four onboard trimmers, what looks like three tl074 quad op amps, and a heap of passives. There is also a sine wave output, presumably a smoothed triangle.

The most attractive thing about this is that it’s compatible with all formats. 5U, Eurorack, Kosmo, basically anything with a decent dual rail power supply.

8 Likes

Interesting beast…

1 Like

Yeh I’ve looked at these, pretty neat they pack all that goodness Into a package that small

1 Like

Saw that a month or so ago. Someone posted a bunch of builds based around that and some of their other submodules on reddit. They also have 2144 LPF, 2164 dual VCA, and some kind of DSP submodules.

Seems like a quick and easy way to build a module. But not quite as flexible as building from discrete components since you’re kind of stuck with their design decisions. It’s more or less just a miniaturized module that you just have to add I/O to. The price isn’t bad…but it’s more than the components to just build your own module on stripboard or PCB. And since I’m having fun doing my own PCB’s and stripboards I decided I’d pass on it.

3 Likes

Yes, my primary interest in this is the board design. Unfortunately I can’t find a schematic for this precise board, otherwise I’d consider building a couple for the fun of experimenting with it.

I’d like to talk to people who have used one of these, to see how much access to the chip you get. At first sight it does look very flexible, even giving you access to both types of sync even though this is a seldom-used feature of the chip.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve only seen the schematics for the reference modules based around the sub-modules. I don’t think the share the actual schematic of the submodule itself.

I’ve actually been thinking about doing some SMD stuff again since I enjoy working with SMD parts and there are a good number of chips that are only available as SMD now. But for things like 3340’s I still have a couple of DIP’s on hand so doing a SMD version is pretty low priority :smiley:

1 Like

I just revisited the submodule page and read it again. What stands out is this:

The typical application circuit from the datasheet has been implemented on this submodule, along with the most well known tweaks and improvements from over the years.

That’s reassuring. There doesn’t seem to be any secret sauce, it’s just the basic example circuit which gives access to all functions of the chip. The reason they haven’t published a schematic for this is that it isn’t theirs to publish.

1 Like

One thing that really puzzles me is those three chips labelled T074. At first I thought they must be TL074 quad op amps used for buffering, signal conditioning and the like, but that doesn’t really make much sense, they’re clearly labelled T074.

They have 14 legs each and I can’t find anything sensible from the part name. The 14 legs would fit if they’re really quad op amps. They appear to have the Texas Instruments logo.

That’s the standard device marking for some package types, including TSSOP.

2 Likes

So I take it the missing L can be discounted and these are the TSSOP form of the TL074 quad op amp? Just making sure I understand your meaning.

Looks like it. From the ti datasheet:

So T074 is the package labeling on TSSOP TL074’s from Ti at least.

1 Like

Here’s a synth guy who did a kit build of the Eurorack module, which is basically just some 3.5mm switchgear attached to this submodule and put behind a little panel. He demonstrates everything, including the lovely sine wave, plus some very weird analogue FM sounds that come directly from the chip. I only know the 3340 as the oscillator in my Crave, and this is quite impressive as there are some more bells and whistles here than the Crave exposes.

5 Likes

yeah I can do the solder by numbers so I was hoping to find that someone with more skill than me had built and documented for others something based on these . the whole deal in one small package for a good price , just add pots and jacks .

2 Likes

cool but euro rack . would like to build these as Kosmo format with 3.5 jacks or builders choice of course .

1 Like

For some it’s the challenge, others the build and then there’s making music. Looking at the smd 3340 and I want to build a single board 3 voice unit like Sam’s. But really I just want to play that 3 voice rig. Btw does anyone have the wiring for Sam’s 3 x 3340 rig with the common out and shared pwm etc?

2 Likes

There appear to be no circuits in the CEM3340 or AS3340 datasheets involving external op amps, and there are none with sin outputs, so no, it is not just the basic example circuit. From what they say it appears they’ve added buffering and amplitude adjustments to the outputs. Still, I think I’d need more information about what’s on the board to know whether it’d be something I’d be interested in or not.

1 Like

Yeah, you can buy just the submodule and then wire it up with Kosmo switchgear or banana jacks or giant old gear ripped from an old nuclear power station or military stuff from a scrapped Vulcan bomber. Anything really.

4 Likes

You forgot bouncy castles and shopping carts in that list :smiley:

1 Like

sounds easy but I don’t speak / read Vulcan [ oh wait you meant a ww2 Vulcan bomber ,I was thinking Startrek the tv show ] . the thing that stopped me was what values to use for the pots but as I write this I thought of the answer just look at what they used on the euro rack kit offered .

1 Like

There’s a datasheet with example schematic (but no schematic for the module itself)

2 Likes