DIY Synth (electronic video for beginners) - Moritz Klein

The new one : Sample & Hold !!!

7 Likes

I am considering to build this one since I am completely stuck with my LF398 module :laughing:

2 Likes
5 Likes

The new one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Cue Dave Brubeck?
tiny

3 Likes

I’ve tried to watch this video twice, and twice I’ve fallen asleep. I should stop trying to watch it at 22:30… :disappointed: He used BC548 NPN transistors for driving the LEDs, can those be replaced with 2N3904…? I have plenty of the later, but none of the former…

3 Likes

2N3904 are called NPN switching transistors. Given their max current (200mA) and what a modern LED needs, you should be fine, I think.

5 Likes

Hello,
think of the different pin assignment
Greeting tangram
grafik
grafik

7 Likes

Hey guys,
Im new here and in world of DIY synths.
I’ve tried this VCO build, got it exactly the same as in video. Used +12V and -12V power supply and only sound i’ve got was deep noise, almost ground noise.
I’ve checked every resistor with multimeter, so it’s not resistor problem. Could it be my 2,2uF 10% or 1uF also 10%? Or the 40106 can be busted? Im really lost and this was my first thing i tried to build.

Thanks for tips!

2 Likes
1 Like

I think this will be my first… Or not :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
7 Likes

I like the idea of the clipping mixer, I will probably use this later. But I would definitely add a small 1uF capacitor after each input potentiometer. I added this on the 6 channels mixer of Sam and it changed everything for me, no more signal suppressing each others, etc…

3 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting. It might explain why my mixer behaves weirdly when too many complex signals are mixed together. I always thought that I need to add a few more ultra-fast caps to the op-amp supplies.

2 Likes

This simple diode clipping circuit is really effective with drum voices, it giving a slight boost at final mix.
I implanted one in the mixer of my modular drum machine and it’s exactly what I wanted, a discrete distortion that quietly soils my percussions. :slight_smile:

There’s a way to change the sound of toms into something really acid by pushing the clipping a bit !! :crazy_face:

Often you get lost in the settings and you come across really incredible sounds, I approve and I love it! !

5 Likes

The new one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey, @moritzklein ! :slight_smile: I am looking at your sequencer currently (btw, awesome that you make even your manuals available as PDFs!!) and I am wondering if I could replace the sp3t switch with a sp2t (one which is unconnected in middle position). I would then leave the original connection between stage 6 and reset, so this would mean 5 steps when the switch is in middle position and I could connect stage 5 and 4 with the two outer legs of the switch. This would mix up the positions on the switch, but also have the three options, right?

3 Likes
5 Likes

I can report that this does not work as intended. I do not yet understand what is happening, but I guess it’s something that the additionally connected stages are interfering… maybe another stupid mistake xD
Also: the sequencer as shown by @moritzklein does need ~7V minimum at the clock (and probably reset) I had no luck with my 5V Arduino midi2gate. I have changed the buffer to a comparator and a diode now.

3 Likes

the new one :slight_smile:

Compressor from scatch !

7 Likes