Digital or analogue patch bay projects

Today I took stock of my pedal boards and guitar rack. Like many guitarists of my age I have a large number of fx, amp sims and synth modules not to mention a plethora of expression, volume and AB boxes.
Last year my floor based boards got moved to shelves so I could access them more easily and as im no longer gigging this seemed like a logical step.
However, since seeing Sam’s pin/switch matrix on the gameboy project I have been toying with the idea of wiring most of my gear to some kind of centralized patchbay. Adding drawers to a rack for pedals or simply making a wall of Velcro covered in my pedals.
Due to the number of devices the switch routing matrix would be almost as unwieldy as an audio patchbay. (And I’ve never liked physical patchbays much anyway)
There are digital/electronic systems out there which are way beyond my budget so I went looking for DIY options… and drew a blank.
I know routing IC’s exist and other switching chips for digital signals but im struggling to find much for audio signal routing.
I did think I could make a matrix of rotary switches and started a sketch which quickly got out of hand.
Im wondering if anyone knows of a way to use an arduino or such to program patches and save them to be chosen either by menu or MIDI.
I just want to hook up all my gear and modules to a brick and then do the routing without patch cables.
I do have a simple programmable looper pedal someone gave me as a gift at a trade show but have no idea how it works and the interior is a blob.
Anyone built anything like this or has a link to a project?

2 Likes

There are large tracts of Genesis that could be replaced by this sentence. At this point I’m not certain whether I mean the book or the band, but either way things get a bit weird after Lamb Lies Down.

3 Likes

The looper is just a fancy AB box and is a strip of clacky buttons I can’t work well unless its on the floor and has only 8 ‘channels’. Sadly due to fatigue or meds I didn’t get the genesis ref.

1 Like