CVT voltage converter module

This is a rather unsexy but useful little utility module.

It converts signals from one voltage range to another. For example, suppose you want to modulate a VCA with a 0 to 5 V low frequency waveform, but your LFO puts out ±5 V signals. You can plug the LFO into IN, set the IN toggle switch to ±5 V, set the OUT toggle switch to 0–5 V, and patch OUT to the VCA. The waveform will be scaled and shifted into the desired voltage range.

Signals in any of three ranges — 0–10 V, 0–5 V, or ±5 V — can be converted to any other one of the three (or to itself, for that matter). It’s primarily intended for control voltages but it can convert audio signals too. Input impedance is 1M and output resistors are in-loop, so 0–10 V or ±5 V signals that are 1V/oct can safely be converted to the other (or itself).

Repository for schematics, PCB and panel design files, and Gerbers: Richard Holmes / CVT · GitLab

It’s called CVT because there wasn’t enough room for “CONVERT” on the panel, and because I found out you can’t upload a Gerber archive with “convert” in the filename to JLCPCB.

9 Likes

Very useful, thanks! I guess I can use TL431 instead of LM4040 and another dual op amp (e.g. RC4558, LM358) in place of TL072?

Can’t think of any reason why not!

1 Like

I recently bought a LM4040 thinking of making some kind of voltage reference for setting up VCOs and VCFs, but I think this is where it will go.
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’ll soon be posting another module that uses an LM4040. Buy lots! :laughing:

1 Like

No need to. I got a 28-pin IC marked i4040. It must contain several of those voltage references …

I think I should have a LM4040 @ 2.5V lying around somewhere.