Circle Drone Of Doom Used as Upgrade

Hi Team!

Long time listener, first time caller. I recently received a Circle Drone and got to thinking how I want to use it. I currently have a Mother 32 modular kit and would like to control the Circle Drone of Doom via the Mother 32. However, it appears the Circle oscillators are controlled with a knob, I’m hoping to change that to Midi or CV.

I’d imagine I need to build some kind of device that would enable me to control the pitch the same way the Mother 32 does. Is this just a pipe dream? Or can I really drive 6 more oscillators into my Mother 32 using the Circle Drone of Doom while being able to play the rig as a 7 oscillator machine?

The CDoD uses transistor avalanche oscillators. These can be given a sort of quick and dirty form of voltage control as in the 2000 MEGADRONE 10 OSCILLATOR. This wouldn’t be accurate 1 V/oct CV though. You can also make an avalanche oscillator with a more sophisticated CV, see here:

But that is a very substantial addition to the circuit.

Really, if you want a multi-oscillator drone you can control in a kind of rough way with the M-32 CV, building the 2000 Megadrone would probably be easier than trying to mod the CDoD, and if you want to add oscillators that can play accurately in tune with one another, then it’s best to start looking at the 1222 Performance VCO or other VCOs you can find out there.

4 Likes