Case Dimension Buffer?

Hey everyone! I’m drawing out some plans for a case - does anyone typically cut their material a few mm longer to be sure that everything fits? For example, planning a 120cm case but actually cutting at 121cm etc. I’d love to hear how some of you have done your cases!

3 Likes

I cut my case a few mm shorter, just to make sure everything doesn’t fit. I don’t recommend it. The next one will have a little more wiggle room.

9 Likes

My case dimensions are determined by the fact I’m using Vector rails, which come in a package of four nominally 60" long but really 60.5" (or was it 61"), and not wanting to cut aluminum extrusion any more than I have to I chop them exactly in half and that’s the length of a row for me.

That’s… short. Even if it’s the panel height and not the row width as I was originally thinking you were talking about, it’s shorter than Eurorack.

Or did you mean 120 cm width? Long! A little longer and there’d be no aluminum extrusion cutting at all.

4 Likes

Sorry! Typo on my part!

120cm (not mm!) long, and 3 rows tall!

5 Likes

I build mine to yield as they say so a 48" x 96" [ 4’ x8’ ] sheet of plywood gets ripped to 4@12" or 6@8" for the depth and the cross cuts are 23-7/8" for the width of the boxes the height varies depending on weather I am build euro rack or Kosmo cases . I have been using wood rails imo it is easier than the alum. rack rail . I put a half inch spacer on the inside sides on my last boxes [ in picture ] to give room to get to jacks and knobs on the modules that are on the ends .

8 Likes

Those look great! Is that Baltic birch?

2 Likes

All my cases are identical, in plywood 40 cm high, 80 cm long and 20 cm deep (i’ve not change since the first Sam’s case build vid :wink: ).
When I cut my panels, also in plywood, I make them a few mm less than 20 cm by 10/5/20/40 … cm so that everything fits together perfectly. I can do it too because I use wooden rails.
I didn’t pay too much attention to that at first, I had some problems when I wanted to swap 2 modules (put a new drum module in my 1st case), but luckily with the wood it was quite easy to modify that.

6 Likes

Thank you for the details! You definitely have one of the coolest setups I’ve seen! What are you doing in terms of power? Does each case have its own power supply?

2 Likes

For each case I use 1 wallwart power supply for 2 Frequency Central power supply (one for each stage)

3 Likes

1 wall wart per case… One case per week and we’ve known each other, say a conservative 2+ years and at a meagre 2.5A per clone, bent toy or fashionable synth hardware, running the soundbender farm will soon need it’s own power station.

4 Likes

yes some drop off from work I got to take home , just butt jointed nothing fancy . my other Kosmo cases are just a plain plywood .

2 Likes

I make my cases with an internal dimension of 1220, the width of a sheet of plywood. I sometimes cut module panels by hand and this gives a fair bit of tolerance. If all the panels are prefabricated it does leave me a 20mm gap per row, which may not be visually acceptable to many, but I am happy with. As for power supplies, as each row is 1200 wide I have 2 FC psu’s and 1 wall wart per row

2 Likes

My twofold solution:

(1) I designed a power display module that’s narrower than 2.5 cm to more or less fill that end of row gap.

(2) My rails are flush with the sides of the case, so if the last module in the row is a few mm too large, it just overlaps the side a bit.

7 Likes