Building a Ribbon Controller

I just mean the 5V output to supply a circuit with power

This 5V isn’t changing… so it can’t modulate anything…

“Crave’s CVs accept ± 5V” means it want a voltage between -5V and +5V, and will adjust the pitch depending on that voltage.
I don’t know the Crave, but I guess it’s 1V per octave, which means if you put +1V, the pitch will go up 1 octave, +2V = up 2 octaves, etc…

Try with a pot voltage divider between ground and +5V, the wiper to the crave’s input, to see(hear) the effect.

Don’t forget to connect the grounds of both ! (The Crave and the Arduino or pot groud)

1 Like

Yeah the Crave should be 1V per octave.

thanks for clarifying this, I missed this bit of information.

Now my question is, isn’t it the same if I use a pot or the ribbon? What changes from the previous situation if I don’t change the type of power supply (i.e supply the circuit with a variable voltage)?

You can use the ribbon direct to the crave’s input.
Just be sure to power it with 5V max (not more !) or the crave may not appreciate it !
And connect both grounds.

1 Like

Sorry I’m a bit lost; how do I access Crave’s ground? :sweat_smile:

The input is a jack ?
There you have two wires, the signal and the ground.

2 Likes

I’ll post here to avoid opening a new post. I saw also the other post by soundbender and i may try to build one from zero with velostat, but im not sure about reliability and functionality…

yet anyway, first, I want to avoid arduino and keep it analog, as much as possible…
I found this project:

Then I found out that softpots by “spectra symbol” are either expensive or sold out (now they produce thinpots and magnetopots as well, anyway quite expensive)

I was looking on aliexpress and i saw those kind of touch sensors:

SF15-600 0-10kg Flexible Force Sensor Resistance Type Ultra Thin Film Pressure Sensor High Sensitive Pressure Measuring Tools

aren’t those the same concept of a softpot?
specifications says “Test voltage: typical dc3.3v”
does it mean something?
beside it has only two pins… how should be used?

No, force sensors respond to force — more force, bigger signal. Softpots respond to position — closer to one end, bigger signal.

1 Like

just to warn, my tests with the velostat worked but not for a very long time, quite fragile as a material (especially in summer with the heat it becomes soft)

1 Like