Bitten by Fake TL074s

Are TL074s so expensive for people, or do yall need so many to justify this level of effort in not getting ripped off?

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/tl074-quad-operational-amplifier-j-fet-pdip-14-tl074cn.html

3 Likes

You’re right there…

Getting ripped off on price alone is (kind of) ok, getting ripped off by getting fake chips adds insult to injury. They’re not really expensive, even good ones… However, even quality suppliers have been burned by fakes.

2 Likes

Video on fake video:

tl;dw: In a sample of four, 100% correlation between real/fake and survived/didn’t survive an acetone wipe.
1 Like

Now we have to find a way to make an acetone wipe on the picture posted by the seller :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh wait, got it wrong. #1 [(c) above] survived the acetone wipe but was fake. Detected via resistance measurements.

1 Like

As I just noted over here Matthew Skala (of NCS fame) got fake ones from Jameco that looked a lot like Christian’s samples, and he links to this thread in his article:

3 Likes

thanks that was a good read , kinda scary though you never know what you are getting and if you don’t have the knowledge and gear to test you are kinda screwed . wonder if that could be the reason for some of the issues I am having with some of my modules . I did have some bad transistors once . luckily a friend of mine who has been a tech forever found the problem for me , to bad I can’t get his help more often.

3 Likes