Baudot minicom 5000 stuffs

nice!!! looks like a lot of work! but cool. I have worked out a way of directly wiring audio into the exchange, what im going to do is record some through the exchange a direct and send to see if there isn’t any surprises??? as you say in the video with clipping etc, its not the neatest of signals through the exchange but simulating a direct recording might be a good idea. ill try to this today even

2 Likes

If you can grab a sample after it’s been through the exchange (as a .wav file), then I can run that through my Raspberry PI and see if it can decode it.

I will also,at some point, upload a sample of audio that the Raspberry PI has created, so you can play it back to the minicom for me

:slight_smile:

So I’ve done the GPIO stuff that @lookmumnocomputer requested. I think I’ve gone a bit overkill, but oh-well…

As usual, one of my crappy videos to demo it → http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/baudot_part3.mkv

I’ve basically used 15 output pins to show the different status values:

• Listening (capturing audio)
  • Finding data in non-silence audio
  • Data RX,
  • Rx 0
  • Rx 1
  • End of audio block detected (pulses)
  • Audio is too quiet, or is silent
  • Clipping detected
  • Transmitting audio
  • Transmitting data (not padding, silence, etc)
  • Tx 0
  • Tx 1
  • MegaHAL thinking
  • MegaHAL saving
  • MegaHAL running out of memory, so removing some stuff it’s learnt

There’s also a couple of input pins:

• Go to sleep (when set Low) / Wake up (when set high)
  • Enable (high) / Disable (low) megaHAL learning.

Next step is to sort of the Raspberry PI booting and running the program automatically - then it’s done!

5 Likes

Just a short update. I’ve uploaded the videos here:
Part 1: Part 1: Decoding the audio on Vimeo
Part 2: Part 2: MegaHAL & Playing back audio on Vimeo
Part 3: Part 3 : Input / Output (flashing lights!) on Vimeo

I’ve also set up the Raspberry PI to load the program on boot. (rc.local for the win)

4 Likes