Atari Punk Console Human Caterpillar

So I was working along with the builder live stream, I hope it’s ok to post about it.

I was having a bit of trouble with each of the pots making a real difference to the sound, then I found another schematic that adds a LFO to the original Atari Punk Console: http://lushprojects.com/vpc/use/

Which seemed to work pretty good!

I then added the other side of the 556 into the first 556 like in the live builder stream.

I also wanted to add a third 556. But when adding a new chip, even when there isn’t a direct connection to the other chips, apart from 9v and ground, it changes the sound. I’m not sure why.

I tried adding some diodes but I’m not really sure what I’m doing. I’ve been mostly trying out different connections and seeing what sounds better, no electrical theory unfortunately.

Here is a video of my test:

Does anybody know why the chips interfere or how it could be fixed?

1 Like

you just need only one 556 for make an APC (or two 555)
and one 555 (not 556) for the LFO

Yeah I know :slight_smile: this is based on lookmumnocomputer’s idea of using two or more 556s chaining then together to extend the APC, just a bit of fun

1 Like

Also the arduino in the video is for a different project

for the change of sound maybe 3 APC requires too much energy

Yeah could be! Now that you mention it, he said that happened in the live stream

with an APC a good things to do is the baby 8 sequencer with a CD4017 :wink:
you know it ?

Yeah man, it’s on the list

I made several and it is simple to build and also to modify (16 step instead of 8, switch on / off on each step, LFO, add external clock, reset button, add aMS20 filter, delay2399 …)
if you want some schem or help … :wink:

here’s my first one

and the page with all sequencers

https://soundbender36.wordpress.com/category/sequencers/

there’s a Translator at the right up

5 Likes

I’m more wondering why adding a third chip to power and ground affects the output sound of the other chip without them being connected in any other way

it’s powering with a 9V battery ? or power supply ?

Using a power supply

maybe not enough Ampere, how many have your power supply ?
and look on the datasheet of the 556

I’m not sure it says input 0.25A
And 2.1A for USB but I’m not using that

250mA I think it should be able to power your circuit normally.
have you tried with a 555 as the third (for the LFO)? because only half of the 556 is used for the LFO, and maybe some pin should not be floating and connected to the GND ? (and will consume 2 times less)

1 Like

Good idea! I have a few 555s as well

1 Like

Input is how much current it may draw from mains, but since you can change the output voltage they just give the max power (30 W) and the actual max amps depends on the voltage (30 W at 9 V is over 3 A, which is enough for a lot of 555s…)

1 Like

Oh awesome! That solved that problem

2 Likes

I split out the LFO to a 555 chip then ran that into the second 556, both sides, and then into the punk console. Also added a power decoupling thing like the link showed.

I think it works better but I have no idea if it should sound better or work better than it does. I might try a few different capacitor values on the second 556.

I’d also like to try adding CV to it as well. Looking at this guide:
https://www.matthewedmondson.com/atari-punk-console

We’ve been discussing that one before, and it’s a bit weird; see here and the rest of that subthread:

1 Like