AS3340 VCO Square output help needed

I’ll probably try to breadboard it first anyway.

Electric Druid don’t seem to be keen to let me know when the chips are due, so I may have a long wait. At least it’s a UK company so I don’t think I’ll have a humongous wait.

I had to wait a while, before covid. I’m in the states though. It got stuck in customs.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Electric Druid is a UK company, but shipping is out of Portugal :
https://electricdruid.net/shipping/

3 Likes

Oh well I may see it before Christmas.

2 Likes

Thats where it got held up in customs. I had to contact them to get updates, but they were helpful and fast on the reply.

1 Like

I ordered from them twice and both times were less than two weeks to California.

1 Like

I’ve already ordered twice there and it took less than 2 weeks to get to Germany. But I can recommend you again https://www.uk-electronic.de/ here I paid 7.85 € for the AS334 including shipping costs, I think it was 85 cents, at least under 90. Ordered on Saturdays, delivered on Mondays. It’s cheap AND fast! And they deliver my knowledge all over the world.

2 Likes

In principle, not much has changed, the core was the Alfa4VCO, which in turn is based on Sam’s design. What I’ve done is actually just added the Eurorack socket and the potentiometers on the board. Thats it. Add some jumpers, cut some conductor tracks, done.
Still, I kind of feel guilty because it doesn’t work with Klimashere. But I’m very sure that I didn’t make a mistake with the layout, I’ve already built it myself and it works fine.

So please, can someone build one with this design and confirm again that it works?

2 Likes

It’s shipped from Portugal. I’m quite optimistic now, and it’s not as if I have a whole circuit just waiting for me to drop an AS3340 into. I’ve got the board and panel from the #1222 VCO, and I could have fun making a banana plug variant of that, or I could just breadboard a simpler circuit and have fun feeding the signals into my Crave and mixing them with the output of its onboard CEM3340.

2 Likes

Electric Druid orders June 7th [ shipped on the 8th] order just showed up today and the aug.1st order hasn’t even shipped yet .
so who knows when I will see it . Detroit seems to be in another time dimension when it comes to shipping . only tayda with DHL can get stuff here in less than to weeks from out of the country .

1 Like

And this morning I received this in the post:

Ten AS3340 as ordered.

So for those of you singing along at home that’s an order placed online on Friday August 14, processed the following Monday on August 17, and received here in Northeast England exactly one week after processing, on August 24. I pronounce this highly satisfactory service.

8 Likes

I liked that so much I thought I’d pay the website another visit and order some more of their intriguing synth chips. I ended up with:

• VCLFO10 (2 of these)
  • ONESHOT Event Generator
  • AS3310 VCADSR Envelope Generator
  • AS2164 Quad VCA
  • AS3046 Transistor Array

There’s a lot of fun there, and maybe I’ll build some actual analogue synth modules out of some of them. I bought two of the VCLFO10 because I seem to recall I’ve got a Kosmo board and panel somewhere that will use one.

Edit: I just realised the Kosmo VCLFO10 kit I bought already includes the chip as well as the board and panel. So now I’ll have two more of the same chip to play with.

2 Likes

Okay had some time to rest on this project, gonna go buy new components and try again, will try to do as best as possible and as slow as I can so I would not make any mistakes. Maybe some resistors could have an impact ? I don’t know

1 Like

Hi klimashere I checked my harddrive again and found the layout of the alfa4 VCO. maybe that will help you too. Greetings THOGRE

5 Likes

And they shipped today, after three days. I’ll see how long the post takes this time.

Edit: it’s now September 7th and I still haven’t got the chips after nearly two weeks. The delay is clearly in the postal journey from Portugal to Britain.

4 Likes

September 10th and the second lot of Electric Druid chips arrived. Not prompt delivery but not exceptionally slow either. It’s worth the wait in my opinion. Taking into account the glacial rate of my synth work this is lightning fast. It could well be months before I get around to playing with any of these chips.

The items I ordered are 2 of VCLFO10, and one each of ONESHOT Event Generator, AS3310 VCADSR Envelope Generator, AS2164 Quad VCA and AS3046 Transistor Array.

4 Likes

I’m excited to see what you can do with it! Tomorrow I will finally get my IDC sockets and can finally power my case and play with the modules for the first time

4 Likes

This looks like something I could just breadboard in an idle moment. Fun to play with.

https://electricdruid.net/one-shot-event-generator/

3 Likes

Looks like a nice toy, definitely comes on my shopping list!

Some time ago I built a simple busboard 1.0

Today my IDC sockets arrived I was finally able to build Busboard 2.0 today.

Version 2.0 has filter caps a red LED for + 12V and a blue LED for -12V. It also has pin headers to make it easy to expand. Let’s be honest, it’s just a stupid busboard, but I’m still really happy and proud of myself.

Now I can finally supply the modules in my first case with power and then play with them for the first time.

4 Likes