As cheap as I can, the old geezers modular synth

Hello @saint_et_moudulard

Nice of you to say that, I do hope I’ve been of some help to you and perhaps to others who may read this thread.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hello all,

I have deleted the two vids and will redo them using entirely free software

Cheers

4 Likes

Hello all,

PCB layouts.
How to measure, resize, alter, print for presensitised boards and UV film and on top of that how to use the least amount of etching fluid.

Copy and paste - Photoshop CS2 - into Google the number one return in Chrome and Firefox will be Techspot.

Copy the serial number and put the dashes in as well when asked. There are popups when it’s opened click on the X’s to remove them.

Screencast done in FreeCam8 https://www.freescreenrecording.com/
Video compressed in Handbrake also free https://handbrake.fr/ open source

Cheers

6 Likes

Stop the popups
Go to the .exe file, right click, open as admin, close the popups as they appear.
Restart popups gone.

1 Like

Thank you for your nice and great work, you are a genius !! Really instructive video !!! Thank you for the software too !!

I can’t wait to study this !!! :slight_smile:

Congratulations !!

2 Likes

Hello @saint_et_moudulard

Thanks for your nice comments nice of you. I hardly know one end of a diode from another. I’ve been using Ps a long time it was given away free with a roller scanner on 2 floppy disks in 1989, I got mine as a used kit in 1994. One of it’s strengths is that I could go to from that first version to the very latest one and fine the same tools in the same places.

Onwards.
I’m awaiting parts for my VCO-1 so I thought I would have a go with another board, tried the Iron and failed three times. Ello! I thought something wrong here, this is what you find!

Experiments again and watching vids on YouTube. And hooray!! Something that really does work :-
Wire wool on the board, I’d got some 00 grade, gives the copper a ‘tooth’.
A hair dryer, on the ‘Hot’ setting if only two settings and No2 on a three settings one. 4 minutes very close to the board and plenty of time on the edges.

Exposed awaiting development, top layer very easy to remove cut close like this

After etching, hardly any splodges

And really neat lines.

Cheers

4 Likes

Hmm, are the texts meant to be mirrored? And does that mean that the whole PCB is mirrored?

1 Like

Hi Jos,

Some are one way round others another, may I suggest that you look at the video I did above.
As a general rule I would say two things;
1/. Print onto paper first and check that the chip sockets will fit lots of PCB artwork is the wrong size.
2/. Find the parts layout and use that to determine which way round you should print the PCB artwork.

Cheers and good luck

3 Likes

Hello all,

I really pleased I got my VCO-1 working, first time I switched it on.
After my previous failure I was a bit apprehensive.

All’s well that ends well.
Once I’ve done the panel and wired that up I’ll be onto the next one, the Thomas Henry XR-2206

Cheers

6 Likes

Hello all,

For ages I’d been searching for a single sided PCB board for the Thomas Henry VCO-555 after failing with Eddy’s stripboard layout.
Like an idiot after making the VCO-1 I realised that I could only get it into my box with difficulty.

Last night whilst looking through Google I came across this thread on page 9 and downloaded the stuff from the page, put a post on there thanking the author for his considerable efforts.

I’ve altered it very slightly so that the BC557’s meet face to face.
And prepared it for the UV film PCB method

This is it as a JPEG and it is the correct size @ 218.521 ppi and the inner cutting size is 73 x 104 the black border is for positioning.

I also bought a few PTC 2k 3300’s from Thonk, taking Eddy Bergman’s advice

Cheers

3 Likes

Hello there,

Here’s my drilled board

I’m doing a lot better with the UV film caper it works very well indeed for me now and with the drilling these are 0.7mm holes.

Cheers

5 Likes

Hello

Well there we go the TH VCO-555 worked, switched on with headphones already connected and all four wave forms sounded straightaway. Fair play to kosalos for the design and for the instruction sheets. Great stuff!!

This is the Triangle wave output on my DSO-138

This comes with the download so it’s easy to check all the links and some can be connected using bare wire.

I use these connectors from AE

I push the wire in all the way in the centre and they grip the wire very well indeed. The idea behind them is the harder you pull the tighter they get.

Cheers

4 Likes

Hello there,

I got the name “DIY Layout Creator” from the guys in the verified thread. Used it and Photoshop to create this. I’ve explained to Eddy Bergman and he kindly said publish it wherever you wish, fair play to him.

It’s the AS3340 layout shortened to 117mm and it will go into my box easily.

I did the alterations using the software and Photo shop.

And

And then it working

I’m really pleased

Cheers

10 Likes

Excellent work! The layout I originally made can be made much smaller. I always spread things out over the stripboard because Kosmo size gives me that room and it makes troubleshooting easier :slight_smile:

6 Likes