2002 Oscillator Drone of Doom

Holy cow man, we have the same story lol. Fortunately this forum is absolutely on point with Trouble shooting side. Follow the written bom for sure, and make sure to test the caps and resistors for shorts on the power and output. I had to pop my LEDs off to remove the panel too, and I was afraid I’d done some damage to a pad. It’s fine! Hopefully yours is too; but when you solder your LEDs in (I went to all red because my fancy ones from adafruit were to expensive to keep tinkering with), just make sure to check both sides of the pad, and apply heat/solder to whichever still looks the most stable. As long and you can get what’s left of the pad hot enough, the solder will fill in whatever you damaged. On this I used a lot of desolder wick first, and then third armed the board while simultaneously reflowing the solder via iron and gently pressuring the components. Unless you are really rough, the board will probably be okay. As far as what it is causing the trouble, as another extraordinarily wise person once said; this is a very simple build with no ICs, so trouble shooting is pretty easy with a multimeter. Checking the pots is what solved mine, as it was just a faulty pot, but if I hadn’t called down, and checked for shorts again, I might have just bailed on it. Kudos to this community. Take your time. Ask questions. We ALL literally love this shit.

3 Likes

Hi all.
So the PCB is no longer for sale, and chances are it will never be again…
Has anyone done the synth in any other way, and is there a tried and tested breadboard/stripboard layout? Is there a link to it?
Yes I know it’s a simple circuit, but I’m not confident in coverting it myself just yet.
Thanks in advance.

I doubt @lookmumnocomputer is going to stop selling the project entirely, sometimes he takes a week or 3 to restock.

Otherwise the schematic and all the other gubbins are here: STUFF - LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER

I don’t think anyone’s made a stripboard layout so far.

2 Likes

hey yep @pedro . sorry its just me pack when i can. i have just sent off a bunch of 1114 filter grrs’s and 1158’s and 2002 circle drones of doom. im packing midi-cv next week and 1222’s

9 Likes

Awesome thanks. I’ll check the store next week then!

2 Likes

A bit of a necro bump!

Does anyone know what the current draw is for this? My assumption is it’s pretty low as there are no IC’s.
How are others powering it? It just seems unusual to have a barrel connector with no surrounding power circuitry.

Hello,

I am in the process of sourcing components for this project. I found three variants of the SS9018:

• SS9018FBU, hFE = 54 ~ 80
  • SS9018GBU, hFE = 72 ~ 108
  • SS9018HBU, hFE = 97 ~ 146

I doubt the choice makes any difference. Any advice ?

Looks like I used the H variant without paying any attention to which one it was. It works fine. I would assume any of them would work.

Thanks.