16 Step Sequencer unverified ! Who checks with?

Hello folks,

I came across this one while looking for a simple 16-step sequencer on the internet:
Step by Step (ES Dec 84)

This is a design from the 80’s by a Mr. “Jake Rothman” from the newspaper: “Elektronik Soundmaker” December 1984 !

I wanted to create a circuit board for etching, all without KiCad, I’m not familiar enough with the program and don’t need it too often, so I drew everything freehand.
Could one of you experts take a look at my PCB trace layout, I’m sure it should be fine, but I’m a little unsure whether the connections from the CD4011 are correct!? For orientation, I have separated the traces by color and they are indicated on the circuit diagram :slight_smile:
I think a few protective diodes could be attached here and there.
I would like to trigger the trigger with a pushbutton, could that work (like the 8-track sequencer from LMNC)?
…except for RED for positive voltage and BLACK for ground, other colors are for guidance only!

…ok, I checked my layout 3x, will etch it tomorrow and then assemble my sequencer PCB after receiving the ordered semiconductors! I have uploaded a picture if anyone is interested in etching one themselves, the picture is already mirrored, 10 x 15mm, the distance between the pins of the semiconductors is 2.54mm!

I’ll report back when everything is complete!

I’ll post a message here! It works so far, nothing caught fire :slight_smile:
The push button (reset) puts the sequencer back to the beginning as it should, triggered for me first by short-circuiting the cable (temporarily)! With the 3Way Rotary I can switch between an external clock and an internal one! CV potentiometers react as usual! I don’t have the 16-way switch yet and have short-circuited the cable to change how many steps are to be played, it works! The forward is good, the reverse does not work properly, no idea at the moment why that is! I attached an individual trigger button first to the 3rd step to test whether it works, later each step gets a button, it works so far, but maybe someone has another idea how to do it better or can tell if it works it’s already ok.
The L7805 might not be the best solution as it regulates down to 2V after 20 seconds WITHOUT a heatsink because it gets quite hot. Everything runs smoothly with the heat sink, I think it’s because of the old TTL chips that consume a lot of power!

I’m currently waiting for more potentiometers that I’ve ordered, because I don’t have enough and will then continue to test and report if anyone is interested!

I made a stupid little video to give you an insight!

…everywhere on the Internet in the forums I can upload videos, not here, strange!?

5 Likes