1 year on, seeds to acorns

So. It’s this next week is School Half term in the UK.

Last year We made the usual 370 Mile trip from my home down to Devon to stay near my Dad and have a weeks holiday. We stayed in a “Static Caravan” on a site and use dthe bar on an evening, watched the entertainment, used the pool, visited places, saw my dad…

On an evening I would fire up the laptop and do some general work for my own small business, perhaps if i was intrested check on real work… And then browse ebay…

Then I stumbled upon 8-bit keys and drmix on youtube ( i never watched much on the tube ) i had a fondness for 80’s synthpop and thought the Emu2 and DX7 were the only thing needed… Sure i knew moog had significance but no real idea, and no real concvept of Mono/Poly/Analog/FM/rompler…

I spent the holiday watching countles videoes from 8bit, Mix and then found LMNC and techmoan… Yes I had become a Utube watcher … ( only added Late Brake Show and Lee Lockwood to my regulars though ) [ LGR and Parafractic get an occasional ]

The PSS470 video from 8bit keys took my imagination and amazingly a week or two later one turned up at the local auctions I frequent, but i did not win it. I however bought one on ebay, had it for two weeks and sold it on for a profit…

And so it began…

I watched all ( or most of ) LMNC videos, and a lot of DR mix and 8 Bit keys and 8 Bit guy.,

At this point my musical skill ( hold on it still is ) is almost none.

In December ( I think ) I started a Baby 8 based on sams design, Never finished,

Over the last 10 months I have traded a number of different synths to make money and learn. had to fix/refurb a few

DX9 ( Avoid )
DX21 (battery + clean )
DX27 (Audio Fix + Battery )
CS1X ( 3d knobs)
CS2X ( 3d Knobs )
M1 ( Sold unfixed )
T3 ( new keyswitches)
01W ( had to strip and clean this )
N5EX ( general re-seat)
MU90R
TG100

Which has actualy covered a proportion of the modular build…

I have built all or most of sams modules ( a couple to finish ) with mostly successful results.

I have designed my own PCB’s and panels ( ok some need work and finsishng )

Bought a PC for a DAW and a audio module ( which I am just about to replace…) in january L
ol…
so 1 year on…

I have learned a masive amount, joined a great forum with lots of interesting people from all over the world. Experinced a number of classic synths, built a lot , learned a lot of new skills.

Best bit of all this…

It’s not over!!

has it kept me healthy and sane in 2020… Well healthy probably not, but as something to do, something to distract from the world outside… Yeah

As of two days ago, I finally had the space and time to set up the DAW PC and begin learning cakewalk… Hopefully the reshuffle on my workshop/ home working office will allow me to relax more on my time off from work and finalsie outstanding projects…

Onward and Upward.

Big thanks to SAM for the inspiration, and to all you guys where ever you may be as this forum has nutrured my interest in electronics and music.

10 Likes

Love the M1, though mine has been busted up and housed in a cupboard for years now.

1 Like

Never played the M1 as it outputted terible noise. the T3 and 01W were the direct descendents. the 01W was boxed up today to send to Chili…

I have a DX11 to fix to replace it…

1 Like

What a fine group of hobbies we have! I like how they all are kinda compatible.

3 Likes