Wow&Flutter / Tape Effect Pitch Modulation

I’m looking to make a modulation source that sort of emulates the pitch variations you would get from a crappy tape deck. I’ve seen this done with a high rate, low depth sample and hold modulating the pitch, example here:

6:16 to 6:52

Actual wow and flutter in a tape deck is more of a continuous signal. I tried taking a noise source and heavily lowpassing it at around 4Hz and using that as a pitch mod source, but it didn’t sound great.Not sure if its still just too high frequency and a lower filter would be better

Also not sure if I’m just overthinking this and the S&H is the way to go. Anyone have experience with this type of pitch mod?

1 Like

I’ve used a PT2399 in an FX-unit and implemented a wow/flutter-kinda FX, described here: Time-Warp-O-Matic by modulating the delay time with an LFO.

5 Likes

ok i found a jfet and breadboarded a sample and hold noise circuit and it sounds a lot nicer than the low frequency noise. not quite sure why, since this is also a low frequency noise of a sort. going to try lowpassing the S&H output to smooth it and see if that sounds good or not

1 Like

hmm so with a rc lowpass (pot + cap) on the S&H output it definitely sounds worse when smoothed out. sounds like a “mosquito” sfx. seems like the continuous change in pitch is pretty easy to detect, or at least is perceived differently than the “instantaneous” change in pitch that the sample and hold creates… interesting…

3 Likes

for reference, noise source is from MFOS: Music From Outer Space - Your Synth-DIY Headquarters
S&H is from Moritz Klein: Designing a sample & hold-circuit from scratch - YouTube
Clock from bench function gen

2 Likes

Can you upload some sound samples to illustrate your findings so that it all becomes a bit less abstract to us readers?

2 Likes

Left pot is the filter, right pot is mod depth

4 Likes

Complete circuit here:

5 Likes