What is the name of this kind of switch?

I was meaning the rotary switch, but I read something about it returning to original position?

What does this mean?

The minilogue xd switch in question is a (on) off (on) switch. They mean that you have to physically hold the positions that are not the center off position.

The rotary switches will not have this “spring back into position” behaviors.

It means that it jumps back to the position in the centre as soon as you release it.

This basically

This video shows what I mean

it’s a DPDT momentary switch (on) off (on), but not with 5 positions like you ask

2 Likes

I have another question. Some of these menus will only have two options. I’d like to use a simple switch or push button for them.
In this case, which switch should I get? an On/On?

Here is a little drawing of the controller layout, it’s still very early on in the process but it can help you to get what I’m talking about.
Please refer to the switch called “Sel. Seq.” as an example

Basically I’m gonna need to power one of the two LEDs at a time while sending an ON signal in the software to one of the two sequencer types. So one sequencer excludes the other (as well as one LED excludes the other) and there is nothing in the centre… either sequencer A or B

A DPDT ON/ON i think

Something like that

4 Likes

So a rotary switch is no good then, it stays where it is.

Can’t you just have 5 small push buttons???

1 Like

Oh so that’s why I need a DPDT. So that I can send the signal to the software and the corresponding LED at the same time

3 Likes

Mmm… as you can see the interface is already quite full of stuff and I need a function allowing me to switch quickly between channels, so maybe a rotary encoder will do the job. In this scenario, the count would go back to the first position whenever it reaches the end of the sequence.
Otherwise, I can use the ones linked below and limit them to the number that I want.

As for the switches, I will probably use those that @Dud suggested

1 Like

But you say

so if you switch channels and it springs back, it would be back on the original channel?

if you just want to switch channels why does it need to spring back?

I didn’t understand how this thing works (and still don’t fully) . I just remebered seeing such a function on some synthesizers such as the Minilogue XD. However, the important thing was to clarify that a switch like that doesn’t exist. That’s all

The channels in question would be managed via a software state. The middle position, which it springs back to, does nothing.

Imagine this example:

Channel State = 1

Moves the switch to the right, which in the software is a +1

Channel State = 2

Moves the switch to the right two more times

Channel State = 4

Moves the switch to the left, which is a -1

Channel State = 3

If you want to clamp the states to a fixed set of values, you can check before incrementing, and if it would be greater than your limit, you can either have it go to your lowest value, or have no changes. The same would need to be checked for the lower states.

In the case where 16 is the highest channel, as is the case with midi:

Channel State = 15

Channel State = 16

Channel State = 16 (if clamped)
OR
Channel State = 1 (if wraparound)

3 Likes

Thanks, that makes everything super clear! How could I relate this to LEDs turning ON/OFF for visual feedback?

The 1x12 poles potentiometers that @eric suggested have finally arrived, but I can’t get my head around how they work.
They have 3 pins in the inner cirle; the biggest is called A, while the other two are B and C. How would I wire it up? (Also, pins B and C are way too small to clip an alligator to them!)

It’s a rotary switch, depend of what you buy (number of positions) but generaly you have a central pin (common) and others around
i don’t think taht the 2 little are for use

1 Like

He actually wrote it here :sweat_smile:

What is a string of Rs?

B and C are not used (they are used (and bigger in that case) with the 2x6, 3x4 or 4x3 versions).

A will be connected to one (and only one) of the 1 to 12 pins.
When you turn the shaft fully left, A will be connected to 1. No other connection is established.
“clicking” it one step, A will be connected to 2, No other connection.
And so on up to 12.

Put the resistors like on the picture, then it will be equivalent to the green pot.
Wires will go to the A pin, the 1 pin, the 12 pin (or less, depending on how many steps you need, then just put the needed resistors as you can see on the other rotary switch)

2 Likes

resistors in serie like in the Quantizer of @analogoutput or the octave select VCO performance from Sam, look at this

1 Like

So the number of resistors equals the amount of steps that I want it to cover?
Does the resistors’ size matter?