Troubles with the SUPER SIMPLE OSCILLATOR

I tried but I still can’t hear anything. I guess that I’ ll come back to this project later, thanks for your advices guys, they were very helpful :slight_smile: now I’ ll concentrate on something easier

3 Likes

in any case do not be discouraged, :wink: and like you said come back later to this projet
and maybe try an APC as we were several to tell you about it, i think most of us had beginning with this sort of projet

2 Likes

I dove in the deep end with the 3340 vco. It didn’t give me nearly as much trouble as this, but maybe I also got lucky.

I think you are into something with the breadboard being poopoo. I spend days and days once, and it was just that it was a cheap breadboard that didn’t have good connections for the pins.

3 Likes

Yup, I’ ll keep doing stuff! Thanks for your support!! I’ ll keep u updated :hugs:

2 Likes

FOR MORE HELP A SIMPLE TUTORIEL STEP BY STEP HERE

3 Likes

Hey!
I followed the setup explanations and I made 10 super simple oscillators that started to oscillate correctly but here it is: connecting my oscilloscope to one of the outputs immediately blew up my power supply (old computer power supply). I look at my connection and I react that I power my oscillator with 24v (+12 and -12 instead of gnd) apparently it didn’t stop them from working but if I power them normally with 12v they don’t work at all…

I then removed all the cables that were supposed to connect the jacks to ground and it works but I would like to be able to power them normally…

The GND of your power supply is (probably) connected to the Earth. By connecting the ground clip of your scope (which is also connected to the Earth) to the -12V, you create a short circuit.

One dirty solution would be to disconnect the Earth of either your scope or your power supply. Or, inside your PSU, disconnect GND from Earth (this can be tricky), and connect the -12V rail instead. Either way, it’s kinda dangerous (you’re removing a safety feature) and you have to fiddle with the main voltage. So don’t do that.

One better solution would be to clip to the GND, but you will have a -12V offset on your signal… Just use the AC coupling.

1 Like

Yes or I use a 24v power supply (+24/gnd) but why it don’t work with only +12 and gnd?

it depends on the transistor you used
SS9018 oscillates from 8V while the 2N3904 is from 12,
but there are also different reactions between several 2N3904, for me it took 18V for it to oscillate

ok in fact I’m wondering because in @Fredrik’s instructions he advises to feed the oscilloscopes with between 15v and 24v so I already had doubts about feeding them with only 12v.(i use 2n3904 transistors)

2 Likes