Transforming the super simple oscillator into a synth

Welcome t the forum :slight_smile:
for information, I made a “mini keyboard” (see above in this topic) for this oscillator to change the pitch, it was fun but you have to keep in mind that it is not a VCO 1V/ octave, so very difficult to get the right notes with this type of oscillator.

@Dud , thanks allot, i’m really new to this and i’m trying to understand, also i didn’t find above the mini keyboard. from what i understand, the path is keyboard>vco>gate>vca… i’m trying to find simple schematics i can folow :smiley:

1 Like

If you can get hold of a 13700; the following is a pretty straight forward VCA:

https://www.davidhaillant.com/simple-vca/#more-2480

You can cut is back to a single input if you wish. He also has simple LFO, VCO, and Mixer write-ups.

For something with just transistors and op amps, the build guide for the EDU DIY VCA has schematic:

2 Likes

here :slight_smile:

(on my blog there is an update link for “mini clavier”)

sorry but i don’t understand really what do you want, have you already a keyboard ?, you want to build one ? , your build all in a box ? make severals modules ? what power do you use of your Super Simple Osc ? …

1 Like

@Dud, I’m hoping actually to make it standalone.

I’m using a 19 v, think that is the min. necesary for the transistor to work.
So basicaly i’m trying to make a small keyboard using switches, (like the one you made with the 555 timer) to control the pitch, initialy i hooked it up between the legs of the 10k pot. it changes the pitch, but i couldn’t find a way to make it cut when the switch was not pressed. for what i understand i need a gate. i found a simple manual gate on a google search with 2 transistors and a few resistors.but couldn’t get it to work… so i decided to search here for help :))

@SCGator, looks interesting, i will keep in mind for future projects. :)) thanks allot

make sure all the circuits you want to add can work with 19V too

I just edited the title of the topic because it was not clear, it is the SSO (super simple osc) not a VCO.

Yeah thanks, I got confused between the SSO and the 3340 stripboard layout

1 Like

getting back on topic… have a look at this:

2 Likes

For the “555 keyboard” I was inspired by this little schem, maybe it can be helped to find a hack (the switch part)

apc organ toy

it might just be what i was looking for… sadly i have no sound at the office, but i will check it out as soon as i get home

The following provides circuits of varying complexity which should be able to provide a basis for your “keyboard”:

https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-66640.html&postorder=asc

1 Like