Super Simple Oscillator Questions Mega-Thread

wizard-magic

Getting the transistor to oscillate is just magic.

6 Likes

Here’s the link for the LED’s I bought. Unfortunately I don’t think there are any details. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L5T37N8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do have a multimeter however, so if there’s a way to use that to tell the forward voltage’s of the LEDs, I can do that.

2 Likes

From far down the page:

Red Light: 1.8 - 2.2 v

Orange Light: 1.8 - 2.2 v

Yellow Light: 1.8 - 2.2 v

Green Light: 2.8 - 3.2 v

Blue Light: 2.8 - 3.2 v

Purple Light: 3.0 - 3.2 v

White Light: 3.0 - 3.2 v

3 Likes

You can measure across the LED while it’s lit up (really it varies with current so for comparisons you’d want to measure it with some particular current value); some multimeters do have a diode function to measure forward voltage out of circuit.

1 Like

King shit

(posts must have 20 characters)

so when using multiple oscillators, do i just connect all of the outputs to one line out?

ooh actually looks like after playing with it a bit, i need a volume knob for each one lol. has anyone done this?

1 Like

I made a box with 5 osc and I added a small passive mixer, it works but the output sound will be a little attenuated.
Or a bit more complex (but not insurmountable either) but with better results adding an active mixer circuit.

2 Likes
3 Likes

the passive mixer you have on your linked page looks nice and easy lol. so using that brought the volume down for the whole thing?

2 Likes

why couldnt i just put a pot inbetween the output and the oscillator?

When the pot is turned all the way to one end you would have NO resistance between the transistor and the output. You don’t want that.

3 Likes

why wouldnt i want that, isnt that whats happening already? or what am i misunderstanding here.

I wonder if anybody has investigated the potential of avalanche breakdown as a noise source. It seems that zener diodes rated above 5.6V are based on the avalanche effect, and they are used in random number generators.

1 Like

you mean like white noise? check this out and tell me if this answers your question

2 Likes

I suppose I was thinking in a very limited computational way. In computing (as you may well know) true randomness is impossible because all computers are designed as deterministic automata (aka Turing machines.)

So I was thinking about the avalanche effect last night and it seemed like a good way to introduce true randomness into circuitry that, like computers, is generally designed with reliable, predictable behaviour as a desirable criterion.

The video you posted looks at noise or entropy from a more pragmatic viewpoint.

1 Like

Lots of modern CPUs and Microcontrollers have true random number generation hardware included these days. STM32s have some built with XORs of ring oscillators. This blog covers a couple of other implementations:

Cheers

3 Likes