Reading capacitor values?

Hello! I have two ceramic box type capacitors (at least I think that’s what they are) in my tremolo kit and I can’t read them, I’ve looked online but can’t find any answers, could you guys help me out?

One of them say 22J63 and the other one says 22nJ100

What do those markings mean? I know it’s supposed to mean 22 in value or something but I still can’t figure it out.

Thanks

2 Likes

I think that means (cap markings are very esoteric…) :

22nJ100 : 22nF, J=5%, max voltage = 100V

22J63 : are you sure there isn’t a (very small) dot/period in front of the 22 ?
22 = 22uF that’s huge ! or 22pF, but that’s small for a box cap…
.22 = 220nF, J = 5%, max voltage = 63V

4 Likes

This should be right.
@Forreal you should test with a multimeter just in case. If you dont have one, you should get one! They can be obtained for not much cash and you will absolutely need one for DIY electronics.

2 Likes

Multimeter with capacitance meter are kind of rare in hardware shop (at least in france)

Hey @Dud what do you do for multimeters?

I use a cheap “transistor tester” from china.
I have this one :

but would recommend a real multimeter, like his one (but there are hundreds others on aliexpress…) :

Just be sure it can test transistors/diodes/capacitors.

sorry no idea, i have an old one given by my father.

@Plop on est vraiment de plus en plus nombreux ici :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have a couple of LCR-T4 ( i belive a few of us have ) not fool proof but very quick and easy to use and cost peanuts.

They struggle on real low cap values, but if you put two caps in and divide the result by two that works. My fluke does not do Capacitance but my £7 Cheap Vichy VC97 does and gets similar results to the LCR but can get lower.

Can you upload a picture of the caps and the writing on them?

1 Like

There’s a multimeter thread here:

3 Likes