Question about electrolytic capacitors

when following everyone’s incredibly helpful advice it slipped my mind that my power supply pcb requires a 1uf electrolytic. I now have a bunch of ceramic and film ones, but Abe from AI synthesis advised me against using them, so I won’t.

for the sake of the learning experience though, what is the difference between a 1uf electrolytic cap and a 1uf ceramic cap in the case of a power supply? thanks!

1 Like

I feel like I must add a bit of nuance here. First of all, current doesn’t flow through a capacitor, that’s their main property.

But indeed, most (read: unless otherwise specified) electrolytic caps are polarised, meaning their + terminal must always be kept at a higher voltage than their - terminal. Ceramic and film caps don’t have this limitation, but usually don’t go up to high capacitance values like electrolytics do.

I don’t see a reason why you couldn’t use a ceramic in this case, 1 uF is a value available for both types. If anything, a ceramic will be more reliable.

3 Likes

It can depend on the application and quality of parts though.

While their capacitance may be the same, ceramics and electrolytics still have different properties.
Ceramics have a lower ESR and ESL, but their effective capacitance drops under dc bias.

This means if you put a constant dc voltage on it, it will act as a smaller capacitor.

Also, the ESR and ESL make the resonant frequency very high, and voltage regulators might even oscillate under these conditions.

I don’t know what type of power supply you are using, but if the 1uF is for filtering/reservoir cap, electrolytic is probably best. Maybe even better if you put a smaller value (10-100nF or so) in parallel, if you suffer from high frequency noise

3 Likes