Power supplies (was Adventures in making)

Like many of us here I have been building a DIY modular setup from the ground up. It really all started out with a pair of old PC PSU’s that I thought I could re-purpose and a harebrained secret plan involving a 3d printer that may or may not ever see the light of day.

After some fiddling around with the PC power supplies I’ve decided it would be safer and easier to just chuck the PSU’s and order a couple from Frequency Central. I’m a little disappointed that my money saving idea didn’t pan out, but I guess I am pretty dedicated to the project after all.

Meanwhile, I have a pair of oscillators built - but they are difficult to test without a power supply!

4 Likes

One thing I’m doing for simple op amp tests is to connect two PP3 9V batteries in series and use the centre tap as earth. My multimeter measures the initial voltage as about +12V and -12V across each rail and earth, though the batteries are nominally 9V only. I guess that would drop quickly over any reasonable load given the nature of this power source, but it does mean I’ve got a reasonable chance of doing useful tests without a dedicated power supply.

5 Likes

the current drain is not high so the batteries may last a little while.

there was a stripboard PSU the other day. but you have to find a suitable 12V AC supply.

3 Likes

The battery idea is a good one. Your batteries should be supplying +/-18V. If you only measure +/-12V, you may have a fault in the circuit. Try carefully feeling around the circuit for something that is getting even a little bit warm. Then look there for a problem. If the parts in your circuit are limited to +/-12V, then you may want to change your power supply design to +/-12V and not +/-18V. Modern 9V batteries can supply quite a bit of current when they are new and may damage your parts. You can also use two 12V AA battery holders

I will probably use two wall wart power adapters in the same way you are using the series batteries to provide +/-15V and then either use it directly or use a low current linear regulators to provide +/- 12V. The linear regulators will provide a lot of noise rejection and provide some protection from shorts. The power adapters I bought are surprisingly low noise at no load and at 1.5A. And the regulation is spot on.

1 Like

The suggestion was to use two 9 V batteries. A new alkaline cell provides 1.55-1.6 V or so, so getting 9.5 V from a brand new 9 V battery would be normal, 12 V rather unusual and 18 V even more so. I’d check the multimeter, not the circuit :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh, right, I read it as 2 x 9V per supply. Thanks.

1 Like

I do have an 18v cordless drill battery.

Is that as bad of an idea as it seems? Especially since there is no ground involved…

I changed the topic title and category

2 Likes

No, bad idea on the 18V battery. Your first idea with the two 9V is good. And @fredrik 's suggestion to check your meter. The batteries should not measure 12V.

2 Likes

I’ve checked again and am relieved to report that my meter currently measures a voltage of 9.65 across each battery.

3 Likes

One thing I’m doing for simple op amp tests is to connect two PP3 9V batteries in series and use the centre tap as earth.

I dont suppose you could do a diagram of this for me? I think I understand but am still trying to wrap my head around it.

1 Like

No problem:

In the above diagram, the PP3 batteries are depicted with the positive terminal on the left. An insulated wire links the positive terminal of the lower battery to the negative terminal of the upper battery, putting them in series.

Here’s another photo, this time with flash on. It’s getting a bit gloomy up here at 55 North. That’s my hand there trying to reduce the effect of the flash so you can see the marks on the paper.

3 Likes

Thanks! Sadly, negative results. But I’m not sure if its the chip being bad or if I am just a plonker XD

1 Like

Sorry I robotically drew the positive and negative rails as +12V and -12V. The 12 should be replaced by 9 in each case.

I’ll have to give it another shot. I do have 2 AA battery holders I could throw in too.

If your meter is reading +/-12v off standard 9v batteries you need to buy a new meter!

I have this exact setup for a analog drum circuit I’m building and I’m luck to get +/-8v.

That said tl072’s are quite happy with this and you should get stable output. You might run into issues trying to calibrate v/Oct tracking or the like…

1 Like

I would be happy with any sort of sound at all - but I think I might have popped it.

1 Like