Potentiometer range on the super simple oscillator

Sharing a pic along with your question will help! It should be a simple thing.

3 Likes

Welcome here :slight_smile:

if you have wired thinking that the pot was seen from behind on the schem, and you want the reverse, just imagine that the pot is seen from the front.

2 Likes

Yeah, to reverse the direction you usually need to swap the outer connections, leaving the center untouched. I am not sure if that alway works, but I guess so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It has to do with where the wiper sits on a resistive material. By swapping 1 and 3 you swap where the ground and reference voltage is, which changes the polarity. if 1 were gnd and 3 were 12 v, if the wiper were positioned where it is, it could be like 5v on the output pin 2 or something. If 2 were 12v and 3 were gnd, the wiper might read like 8v.

3 Likes

That’s if it’s linear taper, of course. With audio taper it would still be reversed direction when you swap 1 and 3, but it’d also go from log to reverse log behavior.

4 Likes

Oh right, didn’t think about that case. Mostly cause I didn’t know.

1 Like

“Wow, you’re such an expert on what happens when pots are wired backwards! How did you learn all this?”

“Well…”

6 Likes

Thanks all for the quick (and helpful) responses! After taking a couple days away, came back and saw errors in my placement of the 100k pot vs the 47nf cap (yes, even super-simple isn’t idiot-proof!) … then tried the ‘reverse what you see in the diagram’ approach for the pot that you recommended.
All good now and making happy little buzzing sounds (the oscillator, not me.)
Thanks again! :slight_smile: :smiley:

6 Likes