LMNC #1222 VCO in Eurorack

Info dump vids may not have great retention, but they are usually very good repos if knowledge. I don’t always sit through entire lectures, or if I do, I speed it up. Chapters can help. It’s kinda like when you read a reference book like that cmos reference. You might read the thing cover to cover, but looking for what you need is often what’s desirable.

7 Likes

What gets me is that my (mid-thirties) kids want me to see some idiot ranting about how awful a TV show we all love is. I can tell you what I dislike about it in 30 seconds so it’s asking a lot to listen to this ignoramus bloviating for hours on end.

3 Likes

:joy: I always sit through all of your videos and wish there were more of them. I do sometimes skip through some parts of Robin’s three hour build marathons.

8 Likes

Reminds me of the days when Harry Potter novels became ever fatter. Jo Rowling, I thought, needed an editor. But maybe I was wrong. I only really loved the third novel, Prisoner of Azkaban. But I did watch all the films, even the bizarre “wizard olympics” one.

Maybe my favourite scene:

2 Likes

You’re getting your wish this month, next one drops Saturday.

4 Likes

And they say young people have no attention span!

5 Likes

I deeply miss the three part tutorial for building a module in any other of Sam’s modules that the #1222 VCO in Kosmo gained from Sam’s industriousness at putting out videos which was at the time focused on Kosmo tutorials. Sam edited and time compressed many areas of the video that didn’t need to be a marathon. I disagree problems with long marathon videos are the topic or the snarkiness. It’s a content maker’s lack of an editor.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

Patchwerks did a video!

6 Likes

Are these eurorack conversions available as diy kits, and in a EU based webshop? (so I don’t have to deal with VAT and customs etc)

2 Likes

Stay tuned, we’re working on it.

6 Likes

Hi there. Just got #84 today. The pitch tracking is off by quite a ways up and down the keyboard. it goes flat as you play up the keyboard. How do I calibrate the pitch tracking? I tried it with different pitch sources and the issue seems to be the module itself.

Hi @space,

First off, there’s a quick start guide available that describes the procedure and it contains a link to Sam’s video demonstrating it. That said, if the tracking is wildly off, it could also be because of a struggling power supply or because of a fault/defect.

Most likely, a little fiddling will get you going, but either way, I’ll get you sorted out.

Do you have a multimeter available? What’s your power supply setup? How far off is the tuning?

Thanks,
Christian

5 Likes

I’ll give this another try today. I’m letting it warm up as I type. The tracking was off out of the box in that the notes get flatter as I went up the scale. The issue I encountered when trying to calibrate was that when I adjust the pitch tracking calibration point (make them sharper to land at 0) at the higher notes, it pulls the bottom notes as well. I don’t believe its a power supply issue since I’m using a Pittsburgh Modular EP-420 case with other analog modules in it that track pitch correctly.

What are the correct steps to calibrate pitch tracking? The quick start guide doesn’t really cover this. The video covers how to calibrate the octave knob and that initial 4v voltage but unless I missed it, it doesn’t cover how to calibrate note spacing up and down the keyboard scale.

1 Like

Ignore what it does to the pitch, pay attention to what it does to pitch differences — give it CVs an even 2 or 3 volts apart and adjust until the pitch difference is 1 octave.

More specifically:

• With the octave switch in the bottom position adjust the Center freq trimmer to get a fairly low frequency (100 Hz or so)
  • Use a calibrated V/oct source such as a CV keyboard or MIDI/CV module to send 0 V and 2 V alternately to the V/oct input. Adjust the Tracking trimmer until the frequency ratio at these two CV values equals 4.000 ± 0.004.
  • Turn the octave switch up to the top position. Again alternating 0 V and 2 V on the V/oct input, adjust the Hi freq track trimmer until the frequency ratio at these two CV values equals 4.000 ± 0.004.
  • Repeat the last two steps if necessary to get the tracking as accurate as you can.
  • Re-adjust the center frequency trimmer to your liking.
3 Likes

I’m going through these steps, but when I adjust the tracking trimmer at one range, it pulls the other. As a result, the tracking appears to be same when I calibrate, but it just changes where it’s out of tune. In other words, the spacing of the notes remain consistent, but the problem is the consistency is out of tune itself. So if sharpen a higher note to have it be in tune, the lower note is now sharper than it was before.

1 Like

Thanks for detailing the steps. @space, I would say start by turning the HF Track all the way counter clockwise and then go through the steps. You may not even need to fiddle with that one at all. Like @analogoutput said, focus on the difference, not the absolute value. Once you have octave tracking, you can use the CNTR trimmer to put it where you want it without affecting overall tracking.

1 Like

Yes, so have an alternating pattern of two notes, two volts apart (so, e.g., 0v and 2v) repeating. Overall pitch will change as you adjust TRK, but it will get closer of further from an exact two octave difference. Once you have that, use CNTR to tune it to where C is in the middle of the TUNE knob range and G is at the top and bottom exactly one octave apart.

When I alternate between the two, it’s just landing in the same place.

For example, adjustment 1 = fix flat note, so clockwise turn trimmer to get to C5.

Adjustment 2 = Now C3 is too sharp, so counterclockwise turn trimmer to get lower octave back to C3. But now C5 is back to same flat response where it was before.

I’m not able to narrow the difference. Is there a step I’m missing?

You’re paying attention to the pitch. Don’t do that. Don’t adjust to C3 and C5. Instead see what the two frequencies are, adjust the tracking trimmer, and see if they get closer to or further from two octaves apart. If they get further from two octaves apart adjust the tracking trimmer the other way until they are two octaves apart. Only after that should you use the center frequency trimmer to set the pitch.

I’m using the Data Mordax module and I’m looking at the frequency. I’m only mentioning the notes for ease of relaying what I’m seeing. The resulting frequency is the same at every iteration of the trimmer adjustments at each octave. It keeps landing in the same place with each adjustment and the difference does not narrow (or change at all really).