First Design! Need helps. balanced I/O schematic needs looked over

I am currently teaching myself design by designing! I have a balanced I/O I am working on first and need some folks to look over it.

3 Likes

Any constructive help is welcome!

2 Likes

Hi. Can I ask about the grounds on the input stage? Are you making a distinction between ground and earth?
Edit: duh! Sorry. Is this chassis connections?

1 Like

Right now those first two grounds are earth and the rest are chassis.

When I have had to do more than whip up a thing to make noise or a fuzz up a guitar signal and step towards that hi fidelity thing I often check/pinch verified schematics from here:

www.diyrecordingequipmemt.com

2 Likes

Input is based off the datasheet and design implementation sheet for the THAT1510 into a a 353 buffer…output is based off the RE500/SRE555 output. If I wasnt working from other designs I would be lost! HAHA!

2 Likes

Ground is ground. Charged electrons don’t care about the symbol just that they can all dump their excess charge in the same place. This was all backwards physics and woo woo to me too.
Schematic looks fine so I’d say get the components and breadboard it. If it doesn’t perform or goes up in smoke we can review.
How do you plan to power it?

2 Likes

I realize all grounds are equal, but by sending the input to earth rather than chassis would the noise be lower than running to chassis? I am very new to this!!!

My main question I guess about the input is with RG1 and RG2 going to ground, this will give me a gain of 0dB correct? Or am I misunderstanding the datasheet?

As for power, I am designing a power PCB next! Doing all of these sections modular so I can utilize them in all future designs.

1 Like

In this case (no pun intended) the earth and grounds are the same… the chassis is grounded. Yes this should reduce noise unless you park it near something electrically noisy.
That looks right for a zero gain to me (jump in guys)
Id look at building power soon as there’s some choices to make; for example your schematic is for a +/-15v . Kosmo is +/- 12v and some studio signal gear is DC 48v etc.

3 Likes

Ultimately I probably will have a few different power designs for varying units requirements, but currently I am starting with line level gear so no need for +48V / phantom power yet. Just using recommended voltages from the datasheets for now which all have 15V within their workable range. When it comes to my future KOSMO builds, I will probably follow the design Sam outlines in his DIY case and supply build so I am working with something universally known. The units I am designing currently will be standard studio rack dimensions, but with everything a modular player wants in terms of control and functionality.

2 Likes

DIY is the main driver here and many of us adapt Sam’s designs to fit our own space, esthetic and workflow needs.
All my early guitar projects live in 19“ rack sleeves to stop me stepping on them - is that what rack you meant btw? If so there are some great rack cases for hosting eurorack and other formats or follow Sam’s plan and build a kosmo box with rack ears. Lots of picture examples here

Correct, 19" rack units. I am building some processing units for my studio that I can use with any and all of my gear. After looking again at the datasheets though…duh! I can use a 12v supply and be fine for what I am doing! Thank you for pointing that out!!!

3 Likes

Keep asking and posting your progress. There are no DAQs. The search function will help you track down specifics and the FAQ wiki is great.

3 Likes

Thank you much! I will for sure!

1 Like