DIY Digisound 80

I saw the video LMNC made on the Digisound 80 and I followed the link to the documentation website(Digisound Project 80 synthesizer modules | Digisound 80). I have never made a diy synthesizer before and am very confused on where to start when comes to figuring out how to get the PCBs. I like these kinds of synthesizers and think they sound amazing but can’t any information on how to translate a circuit diagram onto stripboard. My main issue is getting the PCBs for the modules. Would I have to print them myself or are there ways to have someone make them for me?

Sorry if I’m asking stupid questions
Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Back in 1980 you could order the PCBs by mail but that was 42 years ago. Or you could, and still can, etch your own PCBs from the patterns given on the website. That’s a whole new skill to learn and the time and effort involved therewith.

In principle you also could take the PCB patterns and translate them into design files using an application like KiCad, and then export Gerber files and upload them to a company that will make the PCBs for you. Which is another whole new skill and the time and effort &c, and that company will charge you money — but if you don’t want to get into doing your own etching and drilling it’s a viable alternative. Maybe someone out there has already done this and you could just download their Gerbers from some repository, and that would be the easiest way, but I don’t know if there is such a repository.

Stripboard versions are another possibility, I know there are at least two (maybe exactly two) Digisound based stripboard designs at https://www.eddybergman.com/.

You should be aware these 42 year old circuit designs will in some cases rely on components that are no longer readily available. In some cases there are modern substitutions you can make. In some cases not. There are other more modern designs for similar systems for which you can easily order PCBs and front panels, or for which Gerbers are available to get them fabricated, and that’d definitely be an easier way to go if you’re not determined to do this particular vintage design. The LMNC Kosmo modules for instance, of course.

6 Likes

I would suggest the https://www.eddybergman.com/. also , he has a well laid out site with good pictures and explanations of the builds. they are strip board though .

4 Likes

Why not try a cosmo module for a first build.

you could then take the schematic Sam designed and learn to re-create it in KiCad and then have your own version for your self printed.

Rob

3 Likes

I did the same thing, I built one of the digisound 80 VCOs back in the day, it was SSM based so an early one before they switched to CEM based designs. About 5 years ago I decided to build a digisound 80 based synth with a few modern updates of my own. I built it in 5U format and not 6U, I made all my own PCBs from the artwork and front panels from aluminium panels and laminated paper labels.

7 Likes

I got 3 Digisound designs on my website. The 3340 VCO, The 80.6 Lowpass Filter and the ADSR. I love the Digisound designs. They work very well except for the ADSR which was a bit problematic but that might just have been my inexperience at the time I built it. Thanks for recommending my website. Always cool to see people finding it useful. Keeps me motivated :slight_smile:

10 Likes

An old thread I know, but being a bit (just a bit …) into the Digisound I wanted to share something.
There’s a guy on ModdWiggler hat has built a synth using many of the Digisound 80 modules. I dunno if he has made/shared files (Gerber) of the boards:

My DIGISOUND 80 modular build project

I made me a PCB for the QuadLFO and still have the gerber files lying around and I am intrigued by the Voice Card and have reverseengineered the pcb.
I have no time working on any of my synth projects (a huge modular and a few refurbish and build projects), but looking at the Voce Card, I can see a use for this compact design - a small portable synth by adding a 16-step sequencer and a LFO and something creating random voltages.
Got all info, but the info has to be somewhat decoded, or simply put, the schematic has to be simplified.

Hoping this thread lives on gathering more details about the Digisound 80 system.

and his name is @craigyb:laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, that was my project, unfortunately everything was hand drawn for PCBs etc. So I cannot offer you anything. It’s basically complete now after a recent refurb.

6 Likes

I see you have adopted the current trend for “Dark Mode” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s dark now, but the sunlight is fading my printed panels, soon it will be pretty unreadable mode.

2 Likes

This is my mainly Digisound modular , all PCBs self etched with “press and peel” transfer paper, this is the best way I found to get really good quality PCB,s for very little outlay, all front panels are self made with waterslide laser printer transfer paper
Again I found this to be the best way to make front panels at home for very little outlay
As for components I found no problem sourcing any I needed and got my VCDOs eproms programmed by a really good electronics repair guy I foung on the web

5 Likes

A matt spray of a uv blocker might help with the fading panels. It’s grand to have projects that need that long-term protection.

1 Like

Welcome!
Love that project 80’s look. Do you have any other pictures?

Here you go, few that I could find, all made by me ! If you look me up on You tube there are quite a few vids I have uploaded, still to upload one for the CGS suboscillator when I can find the timee, which is one of my favorites after the Digisound VCDO’s

My modular is a mix of Yusynth MFOS Digisound and CGS but all the front panels are made to match the Digisound ones, except for the MFOS variclock sequencer which I made on 4 seperate panels

4 Likes