Chip shortage continues

In this particular case, [Walker] explains that a power management chip you could get on DigiKey for $1.20 USD a few months ago is now in such short supply that the best offer he’s found so far is $49.70 a pop from an electronics broker in Shenzhen.

:anguished:

4 Likes

Are we THT’ers immune to all this? I see how the SMD folks are getting slammed, but I think THT is archaic enough these days that our stocks should be okay. Fingers crossed? Although we were already getting burned with fake TL0Xes…

3 Likes

Isn’t it all the same dies? Maybe not, I don’t know. But if THT is low priority at the best of times due to its somewhat niche status, at times like this I can imagine it’d get pushed even lower as manufacturers and distributors scramble to fill SMD orders. Just guessing here, obviously.

3 Likes

Welp, time to scale up ICs to kozmo sized stripboard.

4 Likes

Isn’t it all the same dies?

Hm, I didn’t think about that. I don’t know a lot about how they manufacture this stuff, assumed it was different machines. If they are the same, that seems like we’d get bumped to the back of the queue.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah its all the same die in a different package. Also, one of the major supply chain issues lies even a step further back, at the silicon foundries.

2 Likes

https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/652

1 Like

When short of parts I go to my pile of shame (old skip dived machines, boards toys etc. ). Flux up and then use my heat station and tweezers. I never strips board until I need it.

2 Likes