What would YOU do with that?

We may all have unusual or somehow valuable components in a box somewhere that could be used in a DIY module. At least I have (a lot) and even though I can think of a possible use, you may have an even better idea: like for these BCD encoders. So tell me…

2 Likes

Some ideas :

• the number of steps for a sequencer
  • the octave switch of a VCO
7 Likes

Whoo hoo, 79 octave range!

4 Likes

Use for a seed input to a fractal sequencer or wavetable. (Do they exist or have I just invented them?)
Two for a 100 way capacitor selector.
Slap on a piezo as the push button click sounds wonderful.
Chunky bandpass filter or numerical eq.
Preset selector .
Numerical patchbay/router
Calendar (ok now im running out)

5 Likes

I have a quantizer design that stores up to 72 scales…

6 Likes

those are 0-79dB input gain selectors for analog pre-amps, I think I leave them like that.

1 Like

Capacitor selector is a good and easy one. The routing/patching idea I find very intriguing, thanks :+1:t2:

2 Likes

A clock or step divider.

2 Likes

Keep us posted. I know Sam did a piece for the gameboy using a switched router. Those BCDs would make it like something out of 1970s Dr Who.

2 Likes

TrapaNatans , you come up with some neat stuff !

2 Likes

Trapa Natans,

If I made something it would be a DIY module inspired by musicality of the HP Word Generator 8006A aka BOOGA.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

lmnc just built a vlog about these types of bcd’s

Yes me too! I had seen the video about this generator which costs a fortune and I would like to build my own! I think this sequencer is awesome and it shouldn’t be too difficult to understand how it works and build a new one based on Arduino.

1 Like

Which vlog? Those in the B&K statistical distribution analyzer look similar but are different thingies. Mine are just passive switches with 1 input and 4 (BCD coded) outputs

1 Like

yeah I thought it sounded cool to and looked on ebay there was one for several thousand dollars :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Yes, it’s amazing how expensive this kind of test equipment can be!

Here comes another one:

Looks like this is going to be transformed into an arduino monome (9x16 :thinking:) . I may even be able to use the original backplane. The momentary buttons are top notch swiss made and have a socket for either a LED or a tiny bulb.

I have more of these modules and some types seem to have flip flops inside and were used to control relay arrays.

9 Likes

These are nice, must have been really expensive…
(when they where new, I mean :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Chord player. Left column root and right variant e.g. m7th
Tracker like the big button.
Sample player.
Chimes.
MIDI control (like a launchpad)
Scale player; set the root and each column is a mode or scale in that key.
Sorry, heavily medded today so that’s all I have)

3 Likes

Ooh! You could just post some to me :wink:

4 Likes