TV discussion (What are you watching?)

Take this time to make a Google cardboard then sit in your favorite chair with a box on your head enjoying Star Trek in perfect isolation.

1 Like

I’ve been a total trekkie since like 12 yrs old or something (I’m 43 now). After NG I kind of dropped out of the loop, I’ve tried watching DS9, Voyager, etc but they don’t quite hit the spot for me. “Discovery” on Netflix was pretty decent I think.

3 Likes

If you’re done with Picard, I recommend “Space Force.” Carrel and Malkovich are great together and it’s hilarious.

2 Likes

Avenue 5 is wonderful, in case anybody here hadn’t yet caught up with it.

2 Likes

I feel exactly the same way, although there’s no rational reason for it.

1 Like

All my media is almost exclusively physical. Except books, but I don’t have time to read anymore after only getting started properly in 2014, by 2017 I had far too much else to do…

2 Likes

No kidding. We watched a couple of episodes this evening. I wish it were more edgy, more British, but it’s not bad.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately it’s the kind of humor that has to have some basis in reality. As surreal as BoJo is, nothing that asinine would ever happen in Her Majesty’s realm. In the US it’s probably a toned-down version of what’s really going on.

2 Likes

I was thinking specifically of The Thick Of It, which somehow translated to Veep. To my ears there is always something less mordant about American comic drama. America had Will and Grace, Britain had Gimme Gimme Gimme.

2 Likes

Thanks to a comment somewhere about the Tulsa Massacre I’m watching HBO’s Watchmen. President Redford? This stuff is weird.

4 Likes

I finished watching the HBO Watchmen series. That’s a very fitting sequel to the original story, though here I must confess I find comic books almost impossible to understand and had to pick up most of the plot from the film and the rest (the squid trick) by reading the Wikipedia article.

Above all it’s a beautiful production and Jeremy Irons is hilarious playing Adrian Veidt as an aging megalomaniac. The way Cal and Angela’s relationship resolves is beautiful, and some of the plot points were reminiscent of the best of Doctor Who (specifically Human Nature and the River Song cycle.)

The treatment of racism, surprisingly, emerged as the least successful aspect of the series. After a very strong start it seemed to peter out as if the author had lost interest in that theme. This is the only part of the series that left me wanting to see more of Redford’s America.

I hope the author, in view of recent events in Trumpworld, might be inspired to go back and revisit the series. It seems that he had decided that he’d told the story he wanted to tell, but there’s much more to say.

2 Likes

(Spoilers ahead)
I don’t know if we watched the same series. The Kavalry was the bad guy start to finish, even if they were getting played. The whole Hooded Justice arc was a brilliant reframing of the original character with depth and complexity, but the story I watched was one of race and justice until the end-even with the time-information paradox. There wasn’t a single episode that forgot it’s reason for being, or that it all began with the Tulsa Massacre and every thread of the story that didn’t come from the original graphic novel and even some of the ones that did were interwoven with that kernal.

My biggest complaint was that Lindelhoff had the audacity to end Dr. Manhattan’s story that way (though there are good reasons to think that it was an ellipses and not an exclamation point.) The death of a character of that level of power and endearment is never trustworthy though. How long has Superman ever stayed dead? Also, I’m a little fuzzy on the order of his outwardly viewed timeline-for example, did Osterman and Angela meet after the psi squid fell?

Also I don’t like the choice to leave Night Owl off screen, presumably in jail, for the whole season-and yet to have Archie and other Owl-ships show up. And whatever happened to Lube-Man? Then there was that Peteypedia material that implied that it was Agent Petey himself, but that was too big of a red herring to leave unsmoked.

Regina King’s Sister Night was an amazing protagonist, Jean Smart was incredible, and I could watch a whole series about Looking Glass. He was the stand-out surprise for me, again a multi-layered and complex character.

I’ve seen conflicting reports about a continuation, but there are hints that Yayah Abdul-Mateen II has negotiated a second season even if Lindelhoff hasn’t.

Apparently I’m more passionate about this than I took myself for…

3 Likes

But we still all agree that Picard was good, right?
(Asking for a friend)

2 Likes

I didnt care for it. Others seem to like it though, so i guess its one of those things you have to make your own judgement on.

2 Likes

Given that I started the thread, and did not get past episode 2-3… It obviously did not capture me… But Fiction “TV” and me don’t normally go hand in hand…

Red dwarf… Me and my 11 (or is he 12???) year old have watched all of them since the launch of “The Promised Land”, all we have left is to re-watch the latter and wait for more!

4 Likes

I liked it well enough. I think if you liked TNG and can stomach Discovery then it will sit well with you. It did feel a little rushed-like they wanted to tell a 30 episode story arc in 10 episodes just in case the lead couldn’t finish the run-but who are they kidding, Sir Patrick hasn’t aged visibly since the time between his playing Sejanus and Gurney Halleck.

1 Like

I’m watching Discovery now, just finished Season 2 Episode 1 (Brother) a few minutes ago. It’s a very pleasant surprise to see classic Trek reimagined in this way.

I’m not a fan of these vast over-inflated American serials. British writers can often tell a story well in as few as six episodes, and all you lose is the padding and the glacial pace. Picard worked well, I don’t think they were scared that their star might pop his clogs. He might well object, however, to the idea of being held on sound stages for weeks on end just to adhere to an outmoded syndication model.

2 Likes

Incidentally, I notice that HBO is streaming “Watchmen” for free over the June Teenth observance, if you haven’t seen it and don’t have HBO.

3 Likes

The point at which I think the writer lost the plot (literally) in HBO’s Watchmen is where the KKK used mesmerism as mind control to make black people attack one another. It effectively annulled all the serious insights into racism that had led up to that moment.

If I wanted to convince someone that comic books cannot handle serious matters (as a fan of Raymond Briggs’ When the Wind Blows and Art Spiegelman’s Maus I emphatically do not believe this) I would point them towards this crass act of self-sabotage.

The serial is still very watchable as a black comedy sequel to Watchmen, but I find the treatment of racism flawed and disappointing.

3 Likes

I think thenail has been hit.

Original
TNG
DSN

I enjoyed them

“The Bill”, loved that in the early years.

thats when everthying was a story in a show, i could watch in isolation…

When it takes 6,7,12 episodes I cant commit and follow it.

Rob

2 Likes