TV discussion (What are you watching?)

I don’t watch much TV, and virtually no DRAMA.

I started watching “Picard” I am finding it a little slow going, maybe it’s because I am unfocused but I will have to go back to EP2 and start watching that again…

anyone else watched it, is it worth investing in?

I did watch Discovery a year or so back and quite enjoyed that.

2 Likes

Yes. Yes it is.

Not Next Gen, but very good indeed once they get off planet.

The season finale is on my list of things to do today

1 Like

I was waiting for the full season to be out to add CBSAA to our Prime subscription because I knew I’d watch it then drop the subscription. I did get to see the premiere on the free youTube channel and saw that it was a definite “watch” for me. I wish that they’d made it available as a buy-per-episode instead of a subscription (because, being the crochety old man I like owning my music, movies and TV shows instead of renting them.)

Here in the UK its just part of my Prime sub, no extras required. Same for Discovery (only on Netflix).

Think I might have to actually put the paint of my scale models from Discovery whilst waiting for the new VCAs…

1 Like

I haven’t watched beyond a few minutes of the first episode. My wife and daughter are both great fans of 1990s Trek but I don’t think they’ve had much to say about the recent series.

I’ve watched two series recently that I think are well worth my time. Series 12 of Doctor Who blew away the naysayers with an extraordinary run. The use of historical material and characters is closer to the Hartnell days in the 1960s than to more recent runs, but Chris Chibnall has also taken the opportunity to revive and revise much of Doctor Who’s back story.

In more general drama, I’ve found Inside No. 9, by Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, consistently enjoyable. Like Charlie Brooker’s Dark Mirror this series takes a different theme and characters every week, occasionally switching genre but usually with an emphasis on dark comedy. Unlike Dark Mirror this is heavily character-led, and typically takes place on a single set in real time. Pemberton and Shearsmith were two of the three main characters (and half the writing team) of The League of Gentlemen, and their love of the bizarre remains unchecked. Their writing skill has only grown. One episode (“Zanzibar”) is spoken entirely in blank verse and features a Shakespearean plot complete with traitorous schemes and long lost twins. Another (“A Quiet Night In”) is completely wordless but far from eventless. “La Couchette” is set in a cramped sleeping car on a French train. Through all of these their ability to surprise and chill shows.

1 Like

I watched the first couple episodes and really thought it was great.
I plan to watch the rest, just wanted to wait for more to come out so I can binge it. lol

The only thing I dislike is that the episodes are non-standalone. (like most Star Trek shows)

1 Like

Star Trek hasn’t been in the traditional series format since they started making DS9. Voyager may have had its planet of the week episodes, but was distinctly serial, as was Enterprise (although they made some huge errors in the choice of overarching plot for that one, which basically boiled down to ‘Don’t. Do. Time. Travel. As. A. Major. Plot. Device.’). Likewise, Discovery was entirely serial, and whilst Season 1 was a little rough, Season 2 was downright excellent.

2 Likes

Yes. Do watch. I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I just watched a lot more of episode one. This is by far the best written television episode of the Star Trek franchise that I’ve seen. I’m going to watch a lot more of the series if it’s all half as good.

2 Likes

Orla Brady (who also played Tasha Lem in the Doctor Who episode that features the regeneration from 11 to 12, The Time of the Doctor) is hilarious as an Irish Romulan. “Cheeky fuckers! They’ve overwritten the particle residuum.”

2 Likes

Just spent 10 weeks waiting each week for Picard Friday. I envy you being able to binge. That said I’ll probably watch it all again. Love my Star Trek. In the late 80‘s my work contract stated I can never work late on a Wednesday. It was a worship clause used to ensure I was home to see the original series on the BBC.

3 Likes

Oh and now it’s turning into a Kurosawa film. I love this!

2 Likes

I’m only four episodes in and OYG it is soooo good. No Last Jedi debacle in this universe! The cast and the storyline are perfect. The actress who plays Raffi couldn’t be any more beautiful or any more kick ass. May Sir Patrick live healthily a great many more years!

1 Like

The eye patch, the atrocious Frenchman impression. Oh this is the first Trek story I think can be compared to Doctor Who, or Joss Whedon at his best.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love that he’s Jean Luc Picard, native of Le Barre and proprietor of Chateau Picard, and the great British actor who portrayed Sejanus in I, Claudius gets to butcher and mock the stereotype!

2 Likes

Okay, I just finished the season. Cried like a little baby, but I knew what was going to happen with the Golem as soon as Soong and Jurati exposed it. Hopefully we get at least ten more seasons!

2 Likes

I also just finished watching the first season. Really superb stuff. I feel that many of the new characters didn’t really get introduced too deeply yet, so there’s plenty of material to look forward for season 2.

2 Likes

Season 2 booked by studio before season 1 aired!

2 Likes

Is it just me or has this thread gone a bit gushy teen fanboi? He said while rewatching season 1 :grin:

2 Likes

guess i will have to start over… when the TV is not in use by others,

2 Likes