The Experimental Rack (aka The posh VCO project)

Yes, I know. Valley People is written on the TA-101s so I did a little research myself.

I did some tests today. The VCA modules pass audio and the CV changes the level, but in weird way and the waveform is strongly modified. :disappointed: Maybe they are defective or ,more likely, I’m doing something wrong.

Plan B is to use the schematic from Sams 1184 instead, since I have some CEM 3360s lying around.
Well, the major part of the work (mechanics & wiring) is done.

1 Like

Quad VCA successfully completed, took much longer than expected (what a surprise). I can’t help it, all my builds turn into monsters. Transformer balanced inputs and outputs for some reason plus a selectable output to fill the empty space on the front panel. Also a fair amount of dumbassery during the whole building process, but no magic smoke.

quad_VCA

5 Likes

great to see your project moving forward , looks like a lot of work there .

3 Likes

…and I made the next frontplate today. Double ADSR “EnvyLope V3”

5 Likes

http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2006/EnvyLope_V3.pdf

This is a very well drawn schematic. It made me think that this ADSR is an easy build but it’s not. Almost finished with the first half but haven’t tested it yet.

2 Likes

Finished the first half a while ago, found 2 errors already but it’s still not fully working. Attack and decay are fine and the output signal looks promising, but sustain and release have no function and the associated LEDs are not lighting up. The schematic is a frigging maze.

3 Likes

Yessss !! Started building the 2nd half and found my stupid mistake on the 1st right away. Looks like it’s working now. Picture shows a square LFO applied to the release CV in.

5 Likes

The return of the swarf. Double VCF with Joysticks. One half will be a Steiner Parker, maybe both, not sure yet.

4 Likes

Finished Frontplate of the dual Filter. The joysticks (for cutoff and resonance) had no knobs so I cut threads into these fancy beads. Switches below will be used to change taper from log to lin. And I finally ran out of jack sockets.

9 Likes

:disappointed: First filter is done, but not working properly. It either does next to nothing to the sound or it self oscillates violently. Probably a mistake I made in the circuit, or the transistors are not matched good enough (I only had a few to choose from). Plus the joystick isn’t any good for controlling cutoff and resonance. I think it’s better to control the 2 CV inputs and use the pots (with correct value) for resonance and cutoff instead.

3 Likes